2nd hand display case, what would you pay?

geedubelyer

Hi guys 'n' gals,

I have the chance of a second hand/used/pre-owned (call it what you will) display case and wondered what you fine LSPers consider a fair price.

The cabinet stands 2m tall and is 500mm x 500mm. It has aluminium corners holding three glass sides with a glass door. The cabinet is on castors and has three internal glass shelves supported at their corners by adjustable aluminium brackets.

The door lock is broken and there are one or two marks to the aluminium frame but everything else looks ok. There are no lights.

So, given the above information, what would you all consider a fair price?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Cheers.

Sounds like a fairly simple case that woudn't give you too much flexibility in displaying a lot of models.... For something used like that, I wouldn't go above $50 US, assuming all was in good shape. There are similar tower cases at Ikea for about $60-$70US new; they don't lock, rather have a magnetic door catch,  but boy do they look good with a few of my favourite models stuck in there.

You have a computer in front of you. Go to your search engine and type in display case and press enter.

You will find a number of them available, usually at a store.

Then you can refine your search under used, under the town where you live, etc. and you can start searching.

Personally the best price for me is free.

If you have time to search look at used office furniture stores, look under secondhand furniture places.

Look around, it may take you all day Saturday but you might find a better case at a lower price.

Good hunting.

Stephen

Thanks Mike. I appreciate your thoughts. $50 works out to be about £35-40 I guess. The price the vendor mentioned was £50 but I was thinking somewhere more like £30 so I wanted to know if I was being too optimistic.

Stephen, whilst I appreciate your sage advice, did you read my post? I am not particularly looking for a display cabinet.....one cropped up. As mentioned to Mike, I was hoping to gain an idea what folk would pay for the cabinet I have been offered rather than where I might try looking for a cabinet. Cheers.

Thanks for everyone's input, I guess I'll work this out for myself.

Warmest wishes

Edited by geedubelyer