ZM Heinkel He 219 Uhu:5/26/17: BACK WITH A VENGEANCE

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

UPDATE: 3/26/17: THE FUSELAGE – GETTING THERE, STEP BY STEP

Geez, the Owl is big, no; it's HUGE! This bad boy seems to keep growing day by day. Time has finally come to work on  anew photo set up as the Owl just doesn't fit in my normal setup at all! :mental:

First up was the nose assembly. The radar insert was trimmed and tinkered with a bit until it slid into place. Then the nose cone needed the same persuasion and lastly glued on. Attaching the nose section to the main fuselage was another touchy situation. No matter how much I tinkered and time spent dry fitting the nose assembly to the fuselage, I always wound up with small gaps on both lower sides and a iffy fit at best. My fit problems have to be on how I assembled the front office and with the number of individual side panels that comprise the assembly, I was never really sure I installed them exactly in the right spot. Sanding, filling with both Evergreen strip and CCA will eradicate the gaps and add strength to the attachment points. The two smaller nose side panels will be then installed and blended in.

Working my way rewards, I decided to leave the large fuselage panels off on both sides, as there is a boat load of wires, cables and hoses inside which will add a lot of interest to the the flat sides of the Owl. The detail painting is going to be a challenge but should be fun just the same. All the remaining fuselage panels were dry fitted and glued into place – I'm not a fan of removable panels or doors and they seem to either never fit right or over time, just keep falling off. No magnets, just press fit. Once the panels were glued up and allowed to thoroughly dry, every one required a good deal of sanding and cleanup to blend into the fuselage skin. The area just under the cannon assembly still needs some filling and blending but shouldn't be very much work at that. All the panel lines that I wiped out working to fit the large fuselage panels were re-scribed at this point, as this would be the last easy opportunity in handling the fuselage without the wings in the way. Scribing panel lines surely is not one of my favorite pastimes, as I tried to keep the panel lines the same depth and width as the kit's for a uniform appearance, which is on the light side and that's just fine.

The tail cone with it's internal antenna assembly was next and went together with no fuss and seems to fit fine, as it is still just being test fitted.

The tailplanes by far have been the best fitting assembly so far with no fit issues, just some filler will be needed in a few spots. :)

Next up: Finishing the nose section seams and working on the fuselage panel detail painting.

Thanks for checking in

Peter

The only painted figure I could find and of course it's from the wrong war but I popped him in place just to try and illustrate how large the Owl is becoming.

_PCW3758_zps1wc6hun0.jpg

_PCW3756_zpsy44blnei.jpg

_PCW3762_zpsfbj2kqf4.jpg

_PCW3759_zpsdk2dbfac.jpg

_PCW3760_zpsxcqfqdfp.jpg

_PCW3761_zpsakoruhwk.jpg

Edited by Peterpools

Bro,

The Owl is huge compared to the single engine prop fighters we're use to building, but it's supposed to be. All the access panels as well as the nose clip seem to fit fine. I'd say you did a darn good job. Can't tell the  kit recessed panel lines from the ones you redid. I'm amazed you're getting that good at it. You can do the rescribing on the Scooter for me when the time comes.

Can't believe you still have Otto after all this time.

Joel

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Harv

The Owl is starting to finally come together and I'm looking forward to all the detail hand painting along the fuselage. Spent a good few hours today working on the nose seams and squaring them away.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Phil Very much appreciated. I would assume the panels that cover the fuel cells are armored and I'll do a little digging to find out.  She sure is one BIG airplane for a two man crew and must have carried a large load of fuel for night fighting.

Peter