ZM Heinkel He 219 Uhu:5/26/17: BACK WITH A VENGEANCE

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Martin

You are amazing and better then the Encyclopedia Britannica and in my day, that was the absolute top.

I was hoping you could help dale out and he would be able to find a few schemes for his Owl build.

Looking carefully at the photos there are some really nice details to make note of.

Thank you for all the photographs

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Very nice work here Peter the pit looks amazing you have once again captured the detail possible it the kit and ran with it really looking forward to the rest of this build.

Guy

Guest Peterpools

Spyros

Much appreciated and absolutely a handful at that and I;ve been chopping away at it, bit by bit.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Guy

ZM does provide a lot of nice details but a bit behind Tamiya in crispness and molding. Slowly making progress and using up my mini sanders and #11 blades removing all the molding lines that are everywhere

Peter

Guest Peterpools

UPDATE:3/19/17: CANNONS AND THE FRONT OFFICE

I am most likely close to approaching the half way point in construction and there are unfortunately certain consistencies I am discovering so far:

Molding /parting lines and flash are everywhere and for a kit that sells for $174, this quality of molding just shouldn't be. I've spent more time cleaning up nearly every part then actually building. The level of molding isn't consistent to what I would expect of a quality kit at this price point.

Lack of locating pins – they are in very short supply and many more should have been designed into the kit. The He219 is not a limited run kit nor a resin kit and again as a top of the line, injected molded kit, more should have been designed into the kit to both help locate parts and keep them in alignment.

The Instructions: I am now comfortable in using them, read ahead to understand the procedure and still am having a devil of a time precisely locating the exact position and orientation of parts. Needing to refer outside research sources should not be necessary when basically building the kit OOB. I'm sure a portion of my frustrations with fit issues is due to incorrectly locating and fitting parts which always shows up a few steps down the road. I would have preferred the instructions include larger, clearer drawings and photographs of the parts/assemblies and leaving out the verbiage of explaining what the parts do on the real aircraft and making the instructions look like a WWII manual. Also when drawings and when photographs are included, they tend to be the same view and/or orientation rather then a secondary view which would be of an immense help.

Time to get off the soapbox and back to the build.

The Front Office – All the sidewall details and IP were painted and worked into place and of course, I discovered a few of the side wall parts were not exactly in the correct location, requiring backtracking and fixing. I decided I was going to have the outer side panels installed and would add them after the nose section was attached to the fuselage. Same will go with the radar, as I wanted a cleaner appearance to the aircraft front end. Right now I am nearly done dry fitting/adjusting – and talk about heavy molding lines on the radar: OUCH! The instrument panel cowling and folding armor plate is also just being dry fitted as I wasn't sure of exactly where it goes; I still might replace it with a PE part; just depends on how the PE looks.

The cannons:

Confession time – this little gem was nearly the end of the build for me as it has to be one of the most frustrating assemblies so far. I spent a lot of time as usual cleaning up all the parts and I knew in order to show the cannons, the entire bottom front end of the fuselage would need to be left open, which I was not going to do. Only five hatches would be left open for a peek into the inside and I wasn't sure how much would actually be seen, so I pretty much assembled and painted the majority of the assembly. Some portions I didn't paint as it was obvious they would never be seen. So here is the detailed portion of the assembly – looks pretty neat, then installed into the lower front fuselage cannon housing and you can see how little can actually be seen. Sitting above this assembly will be the three fuel cells so there is no view into the inside of the Owl.

The cannons and their shell chutes were are a combination of both Alclad and AK Metallics, with all the other paints being Model Air.

I'm not a fan of removable panels and assemblies, as I either install them or leave them off - for me, it's just trouble coming with either lost or broken parts plus chipped paint.

Next up:

Finishing the front end of the fuselage, adding and closing up all the fuselage panels and cleaning up the fuselage as well. The two long exposed panels on each side of the fuselage will be left open. - looks pretty detailed in there.

Thanks for checking in

Peter

_PCW3750_zpsocnresfl.jpg

_PCW3751_zpsjecpojkr.jpg

_PCW3749_zpsfbyvw3tj.jpg

_PCW3747_zpsduketf1x.jpg

_PCW3752_zpsyhrror5k.jpg

_PCW3753_zps508vv771.jpg

_PCW3755_zpsavm8o7tp.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Shaka

Very much appreciated and I'm pretty sure the only reason the Owl seems to be moving along at a faster rate then the Mossie, I've been working hard to avoid my usual blunders and goofs.

I really don't mind part clean up and some flash but the mold lines on every part for a kit of this expense, just shouldn't be. I know I keep comparing the Owl to the Mossie but they are about the same in complexity, since a good number of the removable panels on the Owl, I'm gluing in place. Comparing the part clean up between both kits and the Merlin and Daimler Benz engines, it's just night and day. If Tamiya can mold parts virtually clean and what mold lines there were so tiny, so should have ZM. 

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Bro,

you already know that my feelings are exactly the same as yours. when a kit breaks the $100 and the $150 mark as well, it's now in the same league as Tamiya's latest and greatest. From all of your emails, posts, and now pictures, it's quite apparent that ZM spends way to much time with their philosophy of what the part does in real life, and not enough time making sure that the instructions clearly shows where and how the parts fit, especially with the complexity of the kit.  I'm with you that today's trend of how many access panels can they open isn't a trend I'm in favor of either. All parts have seam lines, but on Tamiya kits they're so small, you hardly just can't see them.

The cannons and cannon bay looks incredible. Definitely up to your Mossie standards. And your pit looks tremendous. Super detail painting everywhere one looks. The IP came out way better then you thought it did.

Just hang in there, and you'll have another winner equal to the Mossie.

For what it's worth, Shaka-Hi's comment on time of build seems about right to me as well.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W