P-51C "Evalina"

sluggo

It has been decided that I will not only do the P-40 I was planning to do, but this one as well. Chosen for several reasons. Lots of color, plenty of masking and stenciling and NMF. It will be the first NMF that I will actually see to the end. Everything will be painted. Any stenciling that I can't mask won't make it on the bird. 

Japan,%20P-51C-11-NT,%2044-10816,%20Eval

Project begins with the violation of an unopened original issue Revell P-51B.  This will basically be an OOB build. No added details, basic cockpit painting, etc.

p51b100001.jpg

Off to a rough start. Might have to break out some real bondo to take care of the sink marks.

p51b100002.jpg

p51b100003.jpg

p51b100004.jpg

That's where she sits as of this moment. Headed out to the garage to see what kind of filler I have in stock. I have Tamiya putty and kombi putty up here but I think I need something more industrial. 

Edited by sluggo

Nice subject.

That kit realy shows it's age,doesn't it ?

I recall the worst being to fit the clear parts.

As with all of Revell's early kits this one also has a lovely boxart.

Edited by Erwin

That kit realy shows it's age,doesn't it ?

Yes it does......so does the price tag!

Got this kit from fellow member Barry. Hope he don't faint when he sees this thread.

p51b200001.jpg

Edited by sluggo

....Ah  nice choice. .. looking very nice. .

Neat start..

:m0152:

The Box Artwork does look good.

Could I be cheeky and ask for a fuller clearer shot of it :please:

Just so happens I have a new camera in my mailbox waiting for me to get home. I'll take one tonight.

What a great subject - not seen that before!

And great to see one of Revell's Golden Oldies being built...  :popcorn:

Iain

Not so great for the builder.......... The rear of the fuselage is tweaked and it's too late to fix it. did not notice until I attached the elevators. Back in my old days of gotta be dead nuts, this would have resulted in condemnation. 

Here's a few pics with most of the gashes filled with CA. I decided to use it instead of filler because of all the masking I plan to do.

Got a new camera today. Hopefully the pics are a little better. As promised, a request has been fulfilled as well.

Will be in primer in an hour or two providing the glazing gets done that soon.

p51b300001.jpg

p51b300002.jpg

p51b300003.jpg

p51b300004.jpg

Edited by sluggo

Ok, so I could not wait to get primer on it. I'll do the glazing after I fix a couple spots. 

The astute among you may notice a lack of surface detail. Be assured there is a top secret (yet undeveloped) plan to address this. 

p51b400001.jpg

p51b400002.jpg

Don't laugh too hard, it took about 20 minutes. You won't see any of through the mile thick glazing anyway.

p51b400003.jpg

Edited by sluggo

Looks good mate! I reckon a kit like this looks better with no surface detail than all that over-scale raised stuff anyway.

Kev

It's sure a lot easier to commit to sanding and filling when there's nothing to lose.

Finally got the canopy done. You've probably heard the cliches for a futile task , "like herding cats" or "polishing a turd". This was so special it needed a hybrid, "polishing a herd of cat turds".

I recall mention being made of the canopy fit earlier in the thread. I thought, "ahhhhh how hard could it be?"

After test fitting it a few times to verify what I was seeing I developed a plan. The windscreen was the worst fit so I decided to go about it so that most of the sanding/filling would be in that area. It's not like it wasn't already a mess.

So here's what I did. The rear most fixed side windows were installed first and positioned in the oversized holes so that they lined up with the side windows for the cockpit. The the side lights were taped in place and the windscreen aligned to them.

p51b500001.jpg

Then the windscreen was glued in with plast-i-weld. When it was dry gash filling ca was used to fill some of the monster holes.

p51b500002.jpg

Then, Mr. Surfacer.

p51b500003.jpg

p51b500004.jpg

Edited by sluggo