1/32 He-162 Salamander

dutik

Hello!

This is my slow-in-progress Volksjäger. I have started with the Revell kit and the Airwaves seat update set (a must-have) some years ago, but put it back in the stash of my shelf-queens. Guess you know about that wink.gif This summer I got the MPM/Best choice kit of the Heinkel as a bargain, so I've re-started the build. My first intention was to build the Revell kit as-is, cockpit and engine closed, but with some necessary detailling of the cockpit tub, and to save the MPM kit for a detailled model to follow later on. But work went on easy, so I've detailled more and more and also added some resin bits from the MPM kit I wasn't able to replicate in plastic, because I now want to show the airplane with an open canopy. Oh, well. There are also very nice resin parts for the engine, so I will show the engine too - despite I have the closed engine ready wink.gif
Well, I am somewhat ham-fisted (and this is my 3rd LSP ever - after a finished V-1 and a 21st Century Folgore on hold - got stuck at the toy-like undercarrige...), so some parts are oversized, like the oxygen valve at the right front. At least it is there and visible. Also messed up the shape of some details. Murphys law - you get the rigth image just after you have finished the work laugh.gif
As references I have the MBI book (nice cockpit shots), the Aero detail (good images of engine plumbing) (btw, got the last copy from HLJ tongue.gif ) and the MPM booklet from the Best choice kit (some useful detail shots).
post-7459-1254655834.jpg

Enjoy! - dutik

Another view of the cockpit sides. I want to add some rivets along the upper stringer as I did at the rebuild cockpit spants. It's time-consuming, but will enhance the look. Next time I will give Archers rub-on rivets a chance instead of the plastic rivets I use at the moment. These are from MR-Modellbau of Germany and ok with no doubt, but somewhat large in size for the kit, but very tiny for my hands :blink:

post-7459-1254657450.jpg

When I have the panels painted, they will get some stencillig from the Fritz! decal set. This has all what the kit decals do not provide. Also corrected markings for the outside (the red of Revells and MPMs decals is way to dark).

Enjoy! - dutik

Rügen. For foreign readers: Germanys largest island, situated in the outer east and in the Baltic Sea.

For modellers: We run Germanys first modelling museum. It is non-profit, run by the members of our modelling chapter just to have more space for our models. 2000 m� at 2 floors laugh.gif Just visit www.technik-modell-museum.de to get a look at our building, the exhibition and our modelling shows from this and the last year. fam43 was there too rolleyes.gif
The museum is open every weekend. Beside built model kits of our members as well from different donators we have a small collection of the real things. Cars, bikes, remnants of a multibank engine (m-501, iirc) and a Orenda-10 jet engine. This was the powerplant of an Canadian Sabre Mk.5.

Regards! - dutik

Edited by LSP_Kevin
Made the link active

Wow brother!! You may call yourself many things but I would not say "ham-fisted" This work is super clean!! Sauber gemacht! Keep posting man,
JR

Love you speak German, Jerry! tongue.gif

Rügen, that is on the opposite side from Germany from where i live... Dutik, keep on with the Heinkel, you do a great job on this beautiful kit! smile.gif

Hi dudik,

Now it's clear what you meant with a 1:32 built. Very nice so far. Will track your progress.

I have three old pics of the Imperial War Museum in London I took in 1980. Sorry for the quality they show their age.

"Grüß mir den Ruganer Egon!"

post-6446-1254676853.jpg

Made by Heinkel too. Why to invent the wheel twice, especially if you are in a hurry? :P

Thank you all for the kind support. That museum shots are a grat help. The common images are real close shots, so it is difficult to see the whole thing and get the general layout. Thaks, fam43!

After some careful studying of the reference photos I discovered different kind of rivets at the same part: one aircraft had only prominent rivet heads, while the other features the well-feared german flush rivets with only a few prominent rivets at the main connecting points. To avoid a prolonged fight with tons of tiny plastic rivets (as well as too much swearing per day :P ) I ordered today MDCs flush riveting tool. Also a harness, instrument dials (the Fritz! decal lacks a single one) (and there is tabula rasa at Revells sheet, to be fair) and manufacturer stamps for sheet metal (just in case). In the meantime I will add the few prominent bolts.

Happy modelling! - dutik

Made by Heinkel too. Why to invent the wheel twice, especially if you are in a hurry? :lol:

Thank you all for the kind support. That museum shots are a grat help. The common images are real close shots, so it is difficult to see the whole thing and get the general layout. Thaks, fam43!

After some careful studying of the reference photos I discovered different kind of rivets at the same part: one aircraft had only prominent rivet heads, while the other features the well-feared german flush rivets with only a few prominent rivets at the main connecting points. To avoid a prolonged fight with tons of tiny plastic rivets (as well as too much swearing per day :( ) I ordered today MDCs flush riveting tool. Also a harness, instrument dials (the Fritz! decal lacks a single one) (and there is tabula rasa at Revells sheet, to be fair) and manufacturer stamps for sheet metal (just in case). In the meantime I will add the few prominent bolts.

Happy modelling! - dutik

I am interested to see the results of the MDC flush rivit tool. I am thinking of getting one and am glad that you will be the test-bed for this. Great build so far man!

JR

I am interested to see the results of the MDC flush rivit tool. I am thinking of getting one and am glad that you will be the test-bed for this. Great build so far man!

JR

I strictly refuse to act as a test-bed for any kind of tools! :)

But I will let you know of the results at my Heinkel model :rolleyes:

While waiting for the tools to arrive I have started the undercarrige bay. Well, the Germans pioneered not only into overall jet fighter design, but also put up some trends for modern fighter planes. One of them is the use (or ab-use) of the wheel well to mount different other systems like hydraulic, fuel pumps etc. At the Heinkel therefore are not only the undercarriage legs and the retracting mechanism, but also a tank (hydraulic?) and connected lines and valves, the emergency fuel release ducts, pushrods and mechanics for the flying surfaces and some other thingees for unknown-to-me purposes.

Revell was not lazy to provide us with sound basics for the wheel well, so I went mostly with their parts. I have replaced the front wall with the MPM resin, because it has a better and separated tank (Revell: molded on). The rearward oval hole at the ceiling has to be opened to pass one of the mentioned rods through. Here is Revell better than Eduard/MPM: Revell has it (but flushed over), while the PE offer is solid at this place. Special thanks to fam43 for providing his images - the rear part of the wheel well is missing at all reference books as well as at the online walkarounds. I am now adding all the tiny bits and pieces from MPMs PE and resin as well as plumbing made of wire and plastic bolts and nuts. I think, I will add the long passing pushrods only after gluing the wheel bay into the fuselage, because I have to consider the fit of the fuselage bottom. Handling and fitting of these parts should cause no problems - there is the large opening for the engine mount at the upper fuselage. Well, maybe Dr. Heinkel had also the modellers in mind during construction? :huh:

Will add images as soon as possible!

Have fun! - dutik