Hasegawa 1/32 Ki-84 Frank

Daywalker

Just finished this one today, Hasegawa's excellent 1/32 Ki-84 Frank. No AM parts were harmed during this build, the few additions are all home-made. They include engine wiring, spark plug wires, oil cooler intake screen, brake lines, modified kit seat, seatbelts, parachute, pitot tube, and antenna mast. I also used Montex masks for the hinomarus and white outlines, and masked the wing walk strips, leading edge identification marks, anti-glare area, and propeller markings. Painted with Tamiya paints, and include pre/post shading, and panel fading. The photo I have of this aircraft shows the left panel under the cockpit heavily chipped, but the techniques I chose to use for that area didn't lend themselves to that kind of damage (silver pencils). Next time, I will pre-paint the panel aluminum, and then mask the chipped areas. Comments and constructive criticism welcomed!

003-4.jpg

004-2.jpg

002-6.jpg

001-9.jpg

After snapping the photos, I realized that I forgot to remove the masks for the landing light! It is now off. <_<

Some WIP pics...

The modified kit seat-

005.jpg

Cockpit all painted up, custom mixed Tamiya colors to approximate the Nakajima interior bamboo color-

004.jpg

Engine all wired up-

001-3.jpg

Oil cooler grill removed from kit, and replaced with fine mesh screen-

004-1.jpg

Thank you everyone, comments like these from builders of your calibre are most humbling. I really appreciate your taking the time to have a look, and to post your thoughts.

For the cockpit color, I used a mix I found over at J-aircraft.com. All Tamiya colors, the mix is as follows:

92% XF-2 white

3% XF-1 black

3% X-5 green

2% X-8 lemon yellow

For the seat, I actually bought a Mastercasters seat for the build, and after looking at it I thought I would try modifying the kit seat to make it look more like the real thing. I used some abrasive wheels which I use at work on jewelry to thin down the seat, and also to cut the reinforcing grooves into the seat back. Some drilled and chamfered holes came next. I used a blob of milliput to replicate the pilot's parachute sitting on the seat, some Tamiya tape cut into strips for the straps, and wire buckles. Here's how it looked before paint:

001.jpg

Sorry for not doing a WIP thread on this one! I build so slowly, that a lot of people lose interest in the project as the updates are spaced out so much. I am starting a new build today, and will start a thread for it- promise!