Spad XIII C.1 in 1:32 scale

sandbagger

Hi all,
Photographs of Frank Luke Jnr's Spad ‘26' of the 27th Aero Squadron show evidence of surface dirt and paint chipped surfaces and it looking to be in a fairly ‘war weary' condition. Therefore I decided to create this ‘dirty' effect with the weathering on the CDL surfaces. As usual I used a fine 'grime' clay wash from 'Flory Models' to create the effect. The clay wash is very simple to use and you can add or remove as much as you like using a dry or a damp brush, then seal it all with a top coat of appropriate sealer.

cdlwash2.jpg

Mike

Mike:  Super nice job all the way around - from the scratch building to the finish.  I Love these SPADs as they were so colorful - really pleasing to the eye and the weathering is terrific.  Lovely how you are turning a very old kit into something really special.

:popcorn:

Chris

Hi all,
Many thanks for your encouraging comments - much appreciated.
The engine bay is done now, apart from the upper wing to engine fuel and coolant pipes and the cabane strut to engine bulkhead cross bracing wires, which can't be installed until the upper wing is fitted.
The last details I've added are:
The supply pipe from the pipe block at the rear of the radiator to right of the bulkhead (cockpit water temperature gauge).
The two 'stay' rods attached from the fuselage sides to the rear of the gun cooling jackets.
The throttle control rod from the bulkhead to carburetor.
The rear 'bead' sight for the guns forward 'ring' sight.
The engine radiator and cowl assembly.
The standard Vickers .303 machine gun.
The 11 mm Vickers (Colt) 'Balloon' gun.
The windscreen

bay1.jpg

bay2.jpg

bay3.jpg

bay4.jpg

Its now onto working the wing support struts prior to fitting the upper wing.

Mike

Edited by sandbagger

Hi all,
Just a small update as I'm waiting for turnbuckles to arrive.
I've filled the time working on a few minor bits, such as display base accessories and the wheels, and fitting the exhaust pipes with micro-tube support brackets, the foot step and at the rear the fuselage lifting straps.

Mike

pipesdone.jpg

pipeson.jpg

• 2 weeks later...