Nap time Academy 1/35 MH-60S

Wrlss911Pro

I have a young son, so my build time is limited to weekend nap time. I was really excited when Academy released the Knighthawk in 1/35 scale. I picked up the kit along with Eduard PE sets and the Cobra Company update kit. This will be my first attempt at this level of detail and weathering. I am blown away at the skills I have seen on this forum, and I am shamelessly using techniques I see here. So a huge thank you to everyone right off the bat.

As soon as I figure out the process, I will post photos of what I have so far.

Thanks again everyone!

Edited by Wrlss911Pro

Love it, I know what you mean about nap time modelling ... I started my F-14 (over on non-LSP works) when my second daughter was born, and did lots of midnight modelling when I couldn't get back to sleep after feeding her. I'll be watching with interest! :popcorn:

Cheers

Jim

Been there. Mostly after my first son was born, the only "bench" time I got was sneaking out into the hall of our condo and working on a kit with my lap as a workbench and just a bottle of cement, a file or two and some sprue cutters as my only tools.

Nowadays, I have more time to build but only after they're asleep (they're 4 and 2 now).

Looking forward to your build. I always liked the 60 but with their rotorspan, I wouldn't know where to put it when it was done.

Carl

Great start on your S.

Nice to see this helo is getting some love on several sites. Will be watching your build. A great start inded.

Oliver

Thanks Oliver! I am shamelessly, proudly even, stealing some of your techniques and ideas. I could really use some advice on mounting the curved walls at the gunners station. I saw your earlier post on another thread about using clips to install the walls ahead of the deck or overhead. Any tips and advice you would be gracious enough to share would be greatly appreciated!

Paul

Hi All,

Thanks for the all the great feedback! Here is the cleaned up AUX fuel tank.  It is a Cobra Company piece.  I removed the molded in fuel hoses and replaced them with beading tubing I found at Hobby Lobby. To keep them stiff and in the correct position, I fed bare copper telephone wire inside them. The fittings are from CMK Model Masters. 

FF9ACAED-939C-4E04-ACA7-B2FC6040454D_zps

For the overhead, I am once again using the excellent eduard PE set.  Beautiful brass, but really challenging to apply correctly as it is a single piece of metal.  no matter what CA I used, something that size bonds pretty much immediately to plastic. Using Tamiya Extra Thin did not work at all. It just fell off. At any rate.  I am scratchbuilding a Fast Rope assembly.  Reference pictures I have seen show telescoping square tubing. I am still working out how to make the hooks.

Thanks again,

Paul

73E87212-EBC7-4002-9FAA-EDBCBF19EF41_zps

Thanks Oliver! I am shamelessly, proudly even, stealing some of your techniques and ideas. I could really use some advice on mounting the curved walls at the gunners station. I saw your earlier post on another thread about using clips to install the walls ahead of the deck or overhead. Any tips and advice you would be gracious enough to share would be greatly appreciated!

Paul

Fit your ceiling and floor pieces inside the helo and insert both walls and dryfit the walls . Once walls in place and everything fits tight and snuck secure your walls with clips then glue in place. Be careful so you dont glue the floor and ceiling my mistake to the fuselage...only glue the walls to fuselage..

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask if you need any help

Oliver

Paul,

:post1:  :punk: :punk:

Impressive start to your  MH-60S.

I don't have any kids but I think you are doing quite  well in between the napping.

good luck ..Nice work on your seat and the Office looks busy .. :thumbsup: :yahoo:

Thanks. The Eduard PE set is huge help. The cockpit is so different from the DAP due to the avionics. I used micro crystal clear on the screens. I started on the aviator yesterday. The ultimate plan is a land based diorama with one aviator in the left seat and another about to board. Along with a SEAL team. I tried to weather the crew deck to replicate smudges from guys entering and exiting the helo.

Fit your ceiling and floor pieces inside the helo and insert both walls and dryfit the walls . Once walls in place and everything fits tight and snuck secure your walls with clips then glue in place. Be careful so you dont glue the floor and ceiling my mistake to the fuselage...only glue the walls to fuselage..

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask if you need any help

Oliver

Thanks Oliver. I will try that. What about the Aux fuel tank? Glue that to the deck?

Thanks Oliver. I will try that. What about the Aux fuel tank? Glue that to the deck?

Yes .I would glue it to the floor with a touch of super glue applied with a toothpick in the back of the fuel tank

Edited by shark64

• 2 weeks later...

Some More pictures of Progress and a mistake....

Any ideas on addressing my error will be gladly accepted. I have some ideas but I have concerns about damaging the kit part....

53038145-C483-4871-8B6A-036FCB96F2F0_zps

Start of the aviator.....

37765DA8-F6F4-4738-AA2E-9257CE5041D3_zps

Completed AUX Fuel tank

A273DBCC-B65B-4818-B742-297629E77FD4_zps

The front office. Thank you Eduard and Cobra Company!  This view will rapidly disappear for me.

77A26D36-D5B7-4CAD-B5C2-3CBF20CC4491_zps

Another view of the installed AUX Fuel tank.

6B4AE285-4886-4EA8-8196-493E77097F1D_zps

The painted and weathered overhead.  It is about ready for a layer of matte finish.  The zinc chromate yellow bar is a scratchbuilt fast rope rig.  a few more bits and that will be complete.  I also need to add the drip tubes in copper wire.

C23DA211-6F76-4F93-8DA5-311EAF55D5F5_zps

Dryfitting the interior.... A tip of the hat to Oliver for the how to on installing the gunners stations!

B692D1F4-17D7-4559-B0F9-7F9DF875656C_zps

Some window dressing...

0D24F65C-DB81-49FA-90BA-61769EDD6923_zps

Not a mistake....

324296BA-C78E-4D4A-8DBB-4C109C71A54C_zps

A mistake... I misaligned the part when I glued it in.  Taking it out was scary.

1D6603FD-5FD9-414D-92C3-0A1556182751_zps

An issue to be addressed.

Ideas are encouraged..  It is a resin piece and is pretty well bonded to the kit part.  I am thinking that a dremel tool is my way to remove it with the least amount of risk.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Edited by Wrlss911Pro