Tamiya F4U-1a Corsair

Greif8

Hello, I am new to the forum though I have followed it for several years I have never posted before.  To be honest I did not consider the quality of my work to be up to the outstanding standards I have seen on display here, and have hesitated to show any of my work.  A couple of friends urged my to post some of my most recent projects, as they think they are up to scratch; so I am taking the plunge with my ongoing build of Tamiya's outstanding 1/32 F4U-1a.  I am building the kit mostly oob with just a couple of small AM things and also doing some minimal scratch-building.  The next few posts will show my progress thus, and I am open to any and all types of comment, as feedback is important to improving one's skills.

40163735455_412ab635da_c.jpgIMG_0774 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr

Engine parts ready for painting

41056403531_a354ca0e63_c.jpgIMG_0775 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr

Now painted and ready to assemble

40163735665_df9112a0f7_c.jpgIMG_0773 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr

Close up of a cylinder head with the sparkplug drilled out.  I plan to wire the engine.

41056400691_83c85bbfb5_c.jpgIMG_0778 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr

Assembled and ready to wire up.

39247861680_b89d9cc680_c.jpgIMG_0780 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr

The wiring process begins.

41056399291_965a060ebe_c.jpgIMG_0781 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr

A close up shot of the front wiring 

26185940117_6e8dd6f9df_c.jpgIMG_0783 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr

Another close up of the finished engine wiring

41056398471_97a5d75138_c.jpgIMG_0782 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr

And finally, the finished engine ready for weathering

More to follow

:hi:

And thank you Earnest for joining us and sharing your experience with this kit!

I have been eying this kit for a while and your documenting your progress will be very helpful in my decision.

In my book, your work on the engine is a masterpiece! What was the source of your copper wiring?

For a good interior colors guide, I discovered a very good source:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=74512&st=0&p=1032876

Edited by Gigant

Thank you all for the warm welcome and kind comments.  Following are some photos of the cockpit.  I have recently gotten a new camera and dedicated macro lens and , as with everything else, there is a learning curve with new equipment.  Unfortunately due to an error on my part the majority of the really close shots of the cockpit in progress did not turn out well; so there are not very many photos of that type.

26287309007_1875cc5c3e_c.jpgIMG_0787 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr

Overall shot of the fuselage and cockpit parts painted and ready to assemble.  I mixed the interior green using Tamiya paints.

26287301077_905a6f078e_c.jpgIMG_0794 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr

Left and right consoles and the IP.

26287304757_4c417a5dff_c.jpgIMG_0792 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr

Close up of the IP, I did not have enough U.S. type gauges, so I pressed some Luftwaffe gauges into service; wrong I know but they should not be apparent at normal viewing range.

40264029765_eda27687e1_c.jpgIMG_0795 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr

Close up of the left console with HGW Wet Transfers as markings.  These turned out to be a bit of a mixed bag, I had trouble getting the top film off without damaging the decal.  I am now hesitant to use there larger Wet Transfers on the outer part of the aircraft.

40264028515_3179325164_c.jpgIMG_0798 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr

Close up of the seat with HGW's fabric seatbelts which I use on all of my 1/32 builds.  Great products!

41115909212_d585a6fef8_c.jpgIMG_0801 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr

Plain copper wire masquerading as throttle control linkage rods.  I did a small amount of scratch-building in the pit, adding the linkages, hydraulic, electrical and O2 lines - most of which can't be seen in the completed cockpit.

More to follow in the next post.

Ernest 

Following is the completion of the cockpit construction series of photos.

40264025565_3ee9d426db_c.jpgIMG_0799 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr

The right console and the O2 regulator.  I scratched the connection to the pilots O2 hose (It is white now, but gets painted green later), O2 lines and the u-shaped protection bracket.  Unfortunately most of this can't be easily seen once the pit is buttoned up.

27285872728_093fd5cb22_c.jpgIMG_0817 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr

Top view of the buttoned up cockpit.

40447514004_28400a7ebc_c.jpgIMG_0827 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr

Different angle of the pit.

40447520974_aa3175d095_c.jpgIMG_0825 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr

Shot showing the throttle linkages, very fiddly to get them positioned close to my reference photos.

40447524684_1b94f0c311_c.jpgIMG_0823 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr

The seat and rear portion of the left console.

40264004515_c79bab822c_c.jpgIMG_0820 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr

The right console in the completed pit.

40447528534_55d07fe148_c.jpgIMG_0822 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr

The O2 bottle with the scratched O2 line, about the only thing that can be seen.

40264002245_be5738233a_c.jpgIMG_0821 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr

Slightly closer and different angle of the right console.  You can just make out some of the gauges.

Ernest

Welcome aboard Ernest!

Good start to your Corsair build. If it's not too late, the rear portion of the fuselage that houses the tail wheel assembly should be Yellow Zink Chromate rather than interior green as called out by Tamiya. Not a bid deal but I thought I'd mention it as my reference material shows it that way.

Cheers,

Wolf

Welcome aboard Ernest!

Good start to your Corsair build. If it's not too late, the rear portion of the fuselage that houses the tail wheel assembly should be Yellow Zink Chromate rather than interior green as called out by Tamiya. Not a bid deal but I thought I'd mention it as my reference material shows it that way.

Cheers,

Wolf

Also, here is my post with the link to an excellent WW II US Aircraft Interior Colors Guide:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=74512&hl=

For USN aircraft, you go to page "III", there you will find further F4U info.

Edited by Gigant

Welcome aboard Ernest!

Cheers,

Wolf

Thank you for the encouragement Wolf.  If I can get the quality of my build within 50% of your's, I will be happy.  I can re-spray the interior of the tail wheel bay Yellow Zinc Chromate; I should have done better research before painting to save me some work.

Ernest

Also, here is my post with the link to an excellent WW II US Aircraft Interior Colors Guide:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=74512&hl=

For USN aircraft, you go to page "III", there you will find further F4U info.

Hi Gigant, thank you for the information.  I have looked at that site in the past, but did not use it for this build.  I have both of Dana Bell's books on Corsairs and have been using them for reference.

Ernest

Welcome aboard Ernest!

Cheers,

Wolf

Really? I thought it pink?