Anyone for an RNZAF Skyhawk 'Kahu' panel and HUD?

Anthony in NZ

I recall serving with some Kiwi pilots and we used to do a lot of competition shooting with the local RAN personnel at Cerberus. Anyone who had served on DDG's talked about exercises where the Kiwi Skyhawk pilots would do low level air-surface simulated attacks to cross-train. Those pilots flew fast and crazy low. Some impressive stories.

Matty

Yep, Kiwi's like to rustle around down low and in the bush!

h5_zpsz9b4fce1.jpg

Sorry dont know who to credit for the photo

Apparently the Ohakea-based crews liked to have some fun by the desert road; uncle got buzzed by one in the 90s while driving up SH1 in a vintage car. Said it felt like like the bloody car was about to fall apart! 

Thanks Craig!  Mike(serian01) has it sorted for me and I have already emailed the printing guy with Mike Cc'd. Really appreciate the offer my friend!

Mike, I was driving up Desert Road on my way to Ohakea one day and got buzzed by some Macchi's and 2 A-4K's.  Well probably not really buzzed, but they were fairly close.  I must have been pretty excited about seeing them as I had a speed camera ticket in the mail shortly after arrival back home LOL

Mike,

Would love to get that far across the country someday, but this visit will be Phoenix only. I'm travelling with Richard Alexander, who has not been to the area before, so I'll take him to visit some of the attractions (Pima, Davis Monthan, AMARC, Planes of Fame and Luke AFB - I'm hoping to convince WNW they can start making fast jets - but I think that would make a better Tui's billboard), and furtherest afield we'll get will likely be Grand Canyon/Sedona. Either side of the convention, we'll be staying with Mike Reeves (TwoMikes/Phase Hangar Resin).

My trips to the Eastern side of the country so far have been Boston and New York.

Anthony, I know Mike would be happy to do casting for you. Happy to have that discussion with him if you like.

Edited by Talon

This will be my 7th trip to Phoenix and 3rd to Sedona. I crash at Mikes every time I visit - we go back too many years to remember. By now, there are not many places/things I haven't gotten to in Arizona, but this is more showing Richard the neighbourhood and getting some more “war stories†for the archives aka ‘Richard and Craig go drinking again' 😂

Sedona is amazing and one of the reasons to take him there. He also wanted to get to the Grand Canyon, so I figured we'd do a 2 day road trip and take in Planes of Fame in Valle at the same time as it had some very cool exhibits last time I was there (Me109G and Siemens Shuckert replica were highlights albeit outside my areas of interest).

Ok, so a cool update!

Mike Swinburne received the first printed parts for me this morning!  I haven't seen them yet, but from what Mike (serian01) says and from what I can see, they have come up superb....phew!

cid_037480B5-6B86-41BC-90ED-81B63F59F910

My initial impressions are that I wonder if the top of the HUD needs to be clear cast and the framing around the glass be painted, or I don't have the glass and have the modeler fit 2 clear panels in framework themselves??  Anyway when I get to see them and start test fitting etc, I will know more. Once I see this, I will get the antennas done next.

Hope you like.  I know its been a long journey and one I don't think I will do again LOL

Cheers

Anthony

Hey guys, Ronin just did a limited run reprint of the all-green Kahu decal sheet in 1/32 - a nice surprise as I thought I had read he was not planning to reprint the large scale sets. It's available online at https://roningraphicsaustralia.com/shop?olsPage=products%2F132-rnzaf-a-4k-ta-4k-skyhawk-green-scheme-decals

The artwork for my 1/32 A-4K decal sets is now complete. I am hoping to have these available for sale in the very near future (NZ initially). Completing the decal placement guide is all that is holding the release back. There are 13 different sets, each representing one of the remaining single seat airframes. So the buyer will be able to chose the specific aircraft they wish to model. I have captured the nuances between the individual airframes as they weren't all identical. Decals are laser printed on ultra fine decal paper and the detail is sharp (sample image below is downsized to protect my assets) and you will be able to read most of them once on your model. I will also be offering them in 1/48.

All of the sets out there, by other manufacturers for the A-4K, that I could find are lacking accuracy. Just one example is the typeface the RNZAF used on the serial number of NZ6201. It's not the same as the typeface used on the other airframes.

5ol0WS6.jpg

Edited by KitmodellerNZ

Excellent!  I am looking to do NZ6216 that was 'Oz's  plane which is now at Omaka.  You are correct, each airframe is different.  I am going to have to put the patches and respray touch-ups on her as well.  That's if I dont cut the nose off and turn her into a T-Bird!

I think you might get interest if you do the 'Draken' marked ones as well....they look great I reckon 

Great to see the Kiwi A-4 getting the love!

Yeah, I've got Oz's AC in there. The Draken birds are on the list of future projects. I have really enjoyed putting these sets together. It was a lot of work – tons of research, frustration and now joy. I only intended to do a set for NZ6206, but my enthusiasm got the better of me :blush:

The sets cover;

NZ6201

NZ6202

NZ6204

NZ6205

NZ6206

NZ6209

NZ6212

NZ6213

NZ6214

NZ6215

NZ6216