Tamiya 1/6 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin

pcben80

Ha! You did a good job of trying to make that motorcycle look like a model in those photos, but you can't fool me!

I'm with Scott!!....Harv

Ha. I have to give all the credit to the good folks at Tamiya. That's how good the engineering on this kit is!

iA3wXSJh.jpg?1

Do those screws go into plastic, or into a threaded hole?

Richard

The screws on that particular assembly go into holes in the plastic. The instructions are very clear not to overtighten them to avoid cracking the plastic. There are a few others where nuts are hidden within the assembly and the screws are threaded into those. Edited by pcben80

Ha. I have to give all the credit to the good folks at Tamiya. That's how good the engineering on this kit is!

The screws on that particular assembly go into holes in the plastic. The instructions are very clear not to overtighten them to avoid cracking the plastic. There are a few others where nuts are hidden within the assembly and the screws are threaded into those.

I was thinking something like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-Pcs-2mm-Hexagon-Key-Hex-Drive-Head-Cap-Self-Tapping-Screws-M2-6x6mm/361304168652?epid=1542911564&hash=item541f6818cc:g:SF4AAOSwhqhaTUEe

would look more correct. What diameter and length are they?

Richard

I was thinking something like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-Pcs-2mm-Hexagon-Key-Hex-Drive-Head-Cap-Self-Tapping-Screws-M2-6x6mm/361304168652?epid=1542911564&hash=item541f6818cc:g:SF4AAOSwhqhaTUEe

would look more correct. What diameter and length are they?

Richard

Thanks for the info. They definitely looks more accurate but they're too big. Will look around for the right size though!

Moving right along. Had my first struggles with this kit getting the front fork components together but I suspect, as is the case with most modern Tamiya kits, it was primarily operator error. Once I got that sorted out, the rest just fell together with next to no effort.

2tUAZOGh.jpg

YESovCQh.jpg

NI6UmIah.jpg

ZlEM9ggh.jpg

A0WIc9Ah.jpg

GDMa0USh.jpg

fKcAMwfh.jpg

Testing out the future home...

NaXDxf4h.jpg

Cheers,

Ben

Edited by pcben80

Looking great; the aftermarket chain really shines when you view it from above or behind so you can see all the "space" in it between links.  Looks just like a real chain b/c it basically is a real chain in its construction!

Hey!  What is that Dauntless down low in the display case?

Trumpeter 1/32  ?

Looking great; the aftermarket chain really shines when you view it from above or behind so you can see all the "space" in it between links.  Looks just like a real chain b/c it basically is a real chain in its construction!

Hey!  What is that Dauntless down low in the display case?

Trumpeter 1/32  ?

Thanks. Yeah, the chain kit really is a nice addition. The molded chain also looks very nice but not quite the same.

Yeah, the Dauntless is the Trumpeter SBD5 and represents my first foray into LSP. Here's a few more pics if you're interested.  https://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=2725

Cheers,

Ben

Edited by pcben80