NA FJ-2 Fury ESci /Monogram/Revell 1-48

fam43

Late in 2017 I tried my skills on the ESCI-FJ-2. At first I had a good going but desaster struck me around X-Mass. But see how it happened.

The ESCI beast:

17nafj2fury-01h1sey.jpg

I got my hands on a NA-drawing of the FJ-2:

adfj-2_1kssn4.jpg

When I compared the drawing with the Esci Kit it became clear that much sweat had to be spent on this project.

marinesfj-2fury-02twsch.jpg

There is a good side (tail hook topcs) who shows what you get building it out of box- simply ugly.

http://tailhooktopics.blogspot.com/2015/04/esci-148th-fj-23.html

Because the Esci blue Fury kit was very britle I used their F86-E kit which is comparable and not so prone to breaking apart. (I believed)

I started sawing and sanding. First the vertical tailplane fin has to be moved foreward.

marinesfj-2fury-03iysii.jpg

Next step:

unbenannt-2y5st2jjses.jpg

Edited by fam43

• 1 month later...

The ECCI- kit was very brittle and after this was all I could get out of it, I threw the fuselage away.

5xq1oo.jpg

Now I took the good ole Monogram Sabre and started again. This is what I got from this.

img_00132bu2o.jpg

I think I made the right choice.

img_00156jusp.jpg

Staying with Revell now I took the slatted wings from their Sabredog. It was tedious to saw the arester-hook and catapult hook compartments but scratchbuilding is for the fearless.

img_0017kqu4n.jpg

Edited by fam43

• 5 weeks later...

Next disapointment were the ESCI-decals. Sure they were very old. They won't come off the decal sheet. When 24 hours weren't enough I dried the sheet and scanned it. Printing the sheet  on clear decalpaper I I won the fight.

2946tzn.jpg

30t2rlk.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A few parts had still to be cemented on to the kit than it was finished.

118qhib.jpg

The wing tanks are scratchbuilt because I ran out of Esc-itanks. Maybe they are 1-2 mm on the short side but this don't bother me.

2m34m78.jpg

2nssxdv.jpg

qqoorm.jpg

A marine Fury has to be presented at the coast. Therefore rollout was at Lübeck at the baltic sea. in april.

2dhg2ed.jpg