258 replies to this topic

#256 Gazzas

Gazzas

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 09:49 PM

Jay,

After reading your question yesterday, I went looking for pics of the tailwheel to satisfy my own curiosity.  There just wasn't much to see as pics of the real thing are from a bad angle, or have too little light to be seen.  The only cover I saw was on a model.  Other pics of non-models were useless.

The only thing I can offer is the opinion that the cover was there to keep dirt out of a complex mechanism that required lubrication.  I can't see how any maintenance guy would have left it off on purpose. 

Best of luck,

Gaz

• harvey and JayW like this

​We don't have social skills.  We build models.

#257 JayW

JayW

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 12:15 AM

Am still thinking on this Gaz.  If I can decipher the engineering drawings better, I might take a crack at it.  After all, most of the stuff is made from leather which starts out flat and gets stitched into shape.  Seems as if, at least in theory, I could get something to simulate the fabric even if its paper or some fine cloth, I could cut it to shape per drawings.  Here is the assembly drawing of the dust pan and boot: 

5luqPcOl.jpg

And a picture from the parts catalog:

5coHwlel.jpg

Note there are three components to it - a couple of metallic dust pans that mount below the tail LG yoke, and roundish bag (or "boot") that hangs off a tube in the fuselage, and two "shields" that seem to wrap around the two arms of the yoke.  They all attach to one another, then to the yoke and the fuselage itself.  It's complicated.   

What I really wanted was to fill the opening with some chunk of material roughly looking like wrinkled fabric, poke a hole in it for the landing gear strut, and declare victory. Like I did with the pilot control stick.  But no - it won't be at all authentic.  Hence my dilemma.

Am currently leaning toward doing a super-duper job on the yoke and all its clap trap and leaving off the boot.....  

Edited by JayW, 23 June 2018 - 12:22 AM.

• harvey, Gazzas and NukerDan like this

#258 NukerDan

NukerDan

• LSP_Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 01:22 AM

Wow, there's an awful lot going on in those drawings, isn't there? Good luck, whichever way you choose, I'm sure it'll look great!
  • JayW likes this

#259 JayW

JayW

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 02:15 AM

Here's the best picture I can find so far:

N2Lz7E4l.jpg

That picture shows the dust pans on the bottom, and the shields on the sides.  These parts are aluminum sheet.  Surprise - not canvas or leather.  What doesn't show up is the leather boot that attaches to the tops of the shields, and folds over to attach to the sides of the door cutout, sharing fasteners with the piano hinges on either side.  Another part of the boot encloses the area aft of the yoke where the wheel itself retracts into. 

I have looked at alot of wartime photos, and have concluded that this stuff was part of the combat config.  I think I can see the dust pans protruding from the bottom of the gear yoke in the few photos where the tail gear is clearly visible.  And if the dust pans are there, the rest has to be.

Those parts will be hard to make.

• harvey, Gazzas and NukerDan like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: P-47, Thunderbolt, 1/18

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users