Revell Bell X-1

Peter O

I've just discovered this group build, and it's exactly what I need. I'm partway through a Special Hobby X-15, and I need something to get me going again. I have several X-1s in the stash, so that's perfect. One is slated for all-white NACA markings, one for the CE X-1E conversion, and the third for the usual pumpkin-colored Glamorous Glennis.

I'm not a big fan of G.G., just because it's been done to death, but it'll make a perfect quick OOB build. The kit's cockpit and landing gears are quite nicely detailed. I'll even use the pilot figure, just for fun.

One question though... would adding instrument panel wires be considered within bounds? I'm afraid the absence of them would be too visible.

Peter

I've just discovered this group build, and it's exactly what I need. I'm partway through a Special Hobby X-15, and I need something to get me going again. I have several X-1s in the stash, so that's perfect. One is slated for all-white NACA markings, one for the CE X-1E conversion, and the third for the usual pumpkin-colored Glamorous Glennis.

I'm not a big fan of G.G., just because it's been done to death, but it'll make a perfect quick OOB build. The kit's cockpit and landing gears are quite nicely detailed. I'll even use the pilot figure, just for fun.

One question though... would adding instrument panel wires be considered within bounds? I'm afraid the absence of them would be too visible.

Peter

Hi Peter, and welcome to the GB!

The overall intent is to remind people that Box Stock builds can be fun, and to hopefully unclog some AMS symptoms that we all get from time to time. That said, I don't think that adding a few wires would be too far off the mark. Just don't let the 'need to detail' take over!

Thanks, Kevin. Here's my progress so far. Considering I only decided to do it this morning, I've gotten a lot done. It's more than I've gotten done on the X-15 in the last couple of weeks!

x-1-1.jpg

The interior green is a mix that a fellow modeler taught me. About 50% stock interior green and 50% OD.

Peter

Here's today's progress. The cockpit bits are ready to install. I'm still painting Chuck. I think I'll have to install him in pieces... first the head/torso/legs piece, to get his feet onto the pedals correctly, then do the yoke and both arms at the same time so his hands are on the yoke. That ought to be fun to do!

So far the glue and paint are the only things that haven't come out of the box, but I don't know how long I can keep it up :lol:

Peter

x-1-cockpit-1.jpg

x-1-cockpit-2.jpg

Here's my latest progress. Getting Chuck's arms and the yoke to meet was a real fiddle. The yellow stuff is 3M's verson of Blu Tack, and works very nicely. It held Chuck and the yoke in place so I could fiddle them and the arms into place. Once everything was tacked, I CA'd each arm on.

The visor is my feeble attempt at a reflection... at least it looks better than a plain dark blue visor. Once the canopy is in place, he'll look fine.

chuck%201.jpg

chuck%202.jpg

chuck%203.jpg

chuck%204.jpg

chuck%205.jpg

Peter

Shaping up nicely, Peter! I think the reflected sky in the visor is a clever solution myself. I'm sure it looks even more clever in 'real-eye' magnification.

Your technique to bring out the instruments worked very well, too.

Nice job!

(Is a pity the poor pilot had that Attack of the Putty People from Pluto to contend with though...) :rolleyes:

I'm almost ready to close the fuselage. First, I had to add and secure the nose weight. I have a phobia about nose weights going adrift, so it's well boxed in with solvent-glued scrap. Even if the CA on the weight itself comes loose, it won't be able to get away. The cockpit will be glued in with solvent, then reinforced with CA.

nose%20weight%20fitted.jpg

The rocket exhaust is much too small for the end of the fuselage... there's a large gap all the way around. I shaped a new back plate to the right size and shape, and glued the kit's piece in the middle. I then shimmed it with Evergreen strip to avoid having to fill the huge gap later.

exhaust%20enlarged%20to%20fit.jpg

rocket%201.jpg

rocket%202.jpg

There will still be some filling, but not too bad. Hopefully this won't kick me out of the stock category... I'm just fixing the kit's error. I throw myself on the mercy of the court! :rolleyes:

Peter

Here's a pic of the rocket nozzles, showing just how undersized that piece was.

rocket%20nozzles.jpg

I've got the fuselage closed, and the wings are on. Here it is being hung out to dry. I haven't glued the vertical fin halves yet. Once the wings are dry, I'll use them to make sure the fin ends up perfectly normal to them.

wings%20drying.jpg

It's only taken a week to get to this point... breakneck speed for me! :rolleyes:

Peter