First WnW: Albatros D.V Komplete 11/7/18

Gazzas

That looks great, what a beautiful scheme! I really appreciate all the detail work. Having built one of these, I know how small some of those bits and buckles are. You must have eyes like an eagle plus an electron microscope.

Thanks Don!

I have Five pairs of glasses:

1 pair of prescription trifocals.  Not really good for modelling as they are configured to work best at arm's length.

1 pair of 2.5X reading glasses from a pharmacy

1 Pair of 3X reading glasses from a pharmacy

1 pair of 3.5X reading glasses from a pharmacy

1 pair of 4.82X reading glasses custom made by an optometrist.  I had these made to enable me to thread Bob's Buckles eyelets and brass tubing.

The penalty for the magnification is working distance.  The 4.82X have a working distance of about 8 inches or 20 cm.  Once you hit 5X the working distance drops dramatically.  I bought some watch-makers loupes which put the working distance at the tip of my nose.  Dunno how those guys do it.

Light is extremely important, too.  Cool white bulbs in three locations. 

I built my bench so that when sitting at it, the top isn't much lower than nipple height.

My vision ain't so hot...  I've gone to great lengths to make up for it.

Cheers,

Gaz

HI Everyone,

I'm sidelined on this build until my hernia surgery heals up enough for the contortions I'll need to do to get it rigged.  Here are the current photos:

zhvaky.jpg

Zkm5Wg.jpg

XIEUlS.jpg

X24s8R.jpg

BxVkx4.jpg

When I first attached the wings, there was a huge gap on one side.  I tried to force it and ended up breaking a cabane strut.  I eventually determined that one of the lower wings had been inserted incorrectly.

b8EaX8.jpg

PZKI4X.jpg

Thank you for looking!

Gaz

Guest Clunkmeister

Gaz, what an amazing build. Or should I say Amazzing? :)

I haven't been on much these last couple months so I apologise for missing this, but what a stunner.

I saw your comment on lower wing issues on these kits and I now wish I had seen this earlier.

I've built several of these over the last few years, and the lower wing spar attach box on the bulkhead in the fuselage has to be 100% free from paint, glue, and contamination, as do the spar stubs themselves.

If not, the spars will not fit right, the digedral will be slightly off, and the interplane struts will be too short. Then you'll need to rubber band the whole thing together as it dries, and the cabanes bend or break. :(

(Ask me how I know)

Ernie

Guest Peterpools

Gaz

Great come back and looks simply stellar.

Ernie hit it right on the head on the head .. best advice with not only WNW kits but with tamiya as well.

Can't believe I didn't know you were having hernia surgery - just rest up, take it easy and follow the docs orders.

Keep 'em comin

Peter