[Complete] 1/144 USS Chevalier (DD-451)

ChuckD

Give me this kit in a square-bridge, late-war AA configuration and you have a "shut up and take my money" scenario.  I'd do another one of these (and at the same cost, even) to be able to build the USS Johnston, Hoel, or Heerman.  I shudder at the thought of building all of those twin 40mm mounts out of PE though.  o_0

Give me this kit in a square-bridge, late-war AA configuration and you have a "shut up and take my money" scenario.  I'd do another one of these (and at the same cost, even) to be able to build the USS Johnston, Hoel, or Heerman.  I shudder at the thought of building all of those twin 40mm mounts out of PE though.  o_0

The father of my roommate served on a square bridge Fletcher in the Pacific (I forget which DD it was), so I snatched him the Tamiya 1:350 kit for his birthday last year. I considered grabbing him the 1:144 square bridge conversion and the Revell kit, but felt that he probably would be reluctant to pursue that particular course.

Guest Maxim

I did this with the Revell kit and bought the extra AA guns and square bridge and other pieces from Shapeways. It cost the best part of $500 AUD once completed as the Shapeway parts add up real quick. Still I built it for a client so I wasn't paying for it. A  Charles F Adams would be real nice in 1/144. I do have a Spruance in 1/144 scale.

I did this with the Revell kit and bought the extra AA guns and square bridge and other pieces from Shapeways. It cost the best part of $500 AUD once completed as the Shapeway parts add up real quick. Still I built it for a client so I wasn't paying for it. A  Charles F Adams would be real nice in 1/144. I do have a Spruance in 1/144 scale.

After some of the comments in this thread, I looked into that idea and came to the same conclusion.  A well-done square-bridge Fletcher is now a reality (what a time to be alive!), but it gets cost prohibitive pretty quickly.  As much as I loved the platinum edition of this kit, the platinum edition + the shapeways parts get fairly cost prohibitive fairly quickly.  

After some of the comments in this thread, I looked into that idea and came to the same conclusion.  A well-done square-bridge Fletcher is now a reality (what a time to be alive!), but it gets cost prohibitive pretty quickly.  As much as I loved the platinum edition of this kit, the platinum edition + the shapeways parts get fairly cost prohibitive fairly quickly.  

Another one of the reasons I nixed the idea for my pal, that and the fact that I think he'd have been somewhat overwhelmed to try something like that. Me, I'll stick with whatever's offered OOB, as I don't need to model any one specific Fletch or time-frame (other than WWII).

What's interesting to me is that the square-bridge Fletcher has taken a back seat by almost every kit manufacturer in almost every scale to the round-bridge.  That's despite the fact that the former were actually more numerous.  What would be really great is if Revell offered both bridge types and options for late war configs along with decal sheets with separate numbers.  You could almost build anything at that point, save for the seaplane experiment ships, but that's a lot to ask, I suppose.

Beautiful!

I have the original boxing, with some resin and PE fixes....but haven't tried to tackle it yet.

I also have the 1/125 Lindbergh Fletcher...that's like the Edsel of models.   Yikes.

Beautiful!

I have the original boxing, with some resin and PE fixes....but haven't tried to tackle it yet.

I also have the 1/125 Lindbergh Fletcher...that's like the Edsel of models.   Yikes.

I liked the Lindberg Fletcher (lost mine a few years back though), and someone really made an attempt at tricking one out for a national event, also some time back, and as I recall, it looked pretty good.