P-51D 'Nooky-Booky IV'

ruzlkampf

Hi Russ

I found this shot of a real thing, which is in fact very interesting to show some curves and radius from the front cowlings, for both reasons: it can be seen through an apropriate angle.

and in combination with the lines drawn by the checkered dressing, that's become easier to evaluate the radius.

It is like we can see at the different bulkheads.

It comes from a french aviation magazine, the plane is the warbird "Twilight Tear"

Stangfront.jpg

Hope this help.

Raphael

Wheeeeeew, VERY nice pic Raphael! What a gorgeous aircraft, eh? I love a checkerboard-nosed Mustang, may have to do one of those next? :wacko: Thanks for following along buddy, your help has been invaluable. Just the stuff I need to see, mucho appreciated! :notworking: I got the Milliput slathered onto the top of the cowl today after getting up for a short nap, and can't wait to start sanding it to shape. Whoohoo! Also worked on smoothing the wings out and getting the tidbits like the ammo-access covers and inner gear doors fitting nice and tight. The petite raised rivets and excellent fit of the Hasegawa parts made this a quick job. Got my pilot mocked up for a trial fit too, so it's time for another small update before I go back to bed for another nap. :) (vacations are a beautiful thing!)

Broad over-view of the sanded wing undersides-pilot-and lumpy cowling ready for shaping;

post-4413-1262285310.jpg

Still have some seam lines to fill in the wing, but that's no big whup. I'm just bouncing around doing little things as they come to me. Here's a mock-up of the pilot I'm going to use. These Masterdetails figures come with assorted heads and arms, and this head will work for now. Still undecided.

post-4413-1262285538.jpg

And the pilot plunked in place to see how he lines up. Radio detail is basic on this kit, but I'll be going over this area to add detail.

post-4413-1262285792.jpg

I've mentioned the canopy is a mite thick, (but fits really well) and obscures a good view of the cockpit. Here's a pic to show what I mean. I'll probably vacuform another using this as a master. I noticed a lot of the aircraft in this unit had a clear blister mounting an internal rear-view mirror (including 'Nooky-Booky IV') and this would be a good fun opportunity to add that. :notworking: Looks like my cowling has been out in the snow too long, huh?!

post-4413-1262286249.jpg

Top wings sanded smooth, gunbay doors fitted flush, and my lumpy cowling put in place. Being a separate piece sure is making this easier. I like these Hasegawa Mustangs, they're a good beginning for a project like this. Once I get that cowling shaped I'm going to make a mould for casting more for the other Stangs in my stash. Oh yeah, I found a pair of Mastercasters wheels I forgot I had to replace the rubber tires in the Dragon kit and have them out for a comparison with the True Details version. I like the diamond pattern they have, and they just might get swapped out.

post-4413-1262287179.jpg

Tired of pecking on the keyboard, and it's time to start shaping this cowling out so I gotta scram. Would like to wish everybody a Happy New Year, and hope everybody is enjoying their celebrations around the world!!! :notworking: I can tell this is going to be a really great year, when it starts out with a Mustang followed by finishing my SR-71 build. Hurray! :wacko: Last pic of 2009 for this ole hound dog, and I'm looking forward to the first update of the New Year. See ya'll then! Later, Russ

post-4413-1262287686.jpg

Hey Russ! Looking great so far. As far as the exhausts go, I have the resin shrouded exhausts from my B model if you want em. I used the Packard exhausts from my pcm spit on the P-51B and just shortened up the stacks a bit. Looked ok for me. Like I said, if you want them they are yours.

Matt

HAPPY NEW YEAR Everybody! Whoohoo, it's about time you showed up 'Big Matt'! Your P-51B influenced and steered me into this mess in the first place. You're a baaaaad influence! :blink: Mucho appreciate the offer of the shrouded exhausts. If it's Jerry Rutman's stuff, it must be quality kit! Still too soon in this build to decide what it'll morph into but I'll keep your offer in my back pocket for the future. Much obliged sir!

Well Raphael, my first attempt at this cowling mod didn't go 100% the way I'd planned. :thumbsup: Close, but no cigar. I got the radius on the sides a bit too sharp, and it needs to be a bit more subtle. What a disconcertingly difficult shape to get right. Still chiseling away at it, and haven't given up yet. Thought ya'll would like to see some pics of the failures,....as well as any triumphs, so here goes;

The cowl in dark grey primer is the one I've been diddling with, the other is standard kit provided.

post-4413-1262363177.jpg

post-4413-1262363198.jpg

Aaaaargh, I'm sooo close. It's a toughy getting this correct. Couple of comparison pics now to show where I'm trying to go with this. Slightly more squared off than the kits, with a small bump without actually HAVING a discernable bump. Stock cowl on top, puttied up and sanded 'before primer' cowl below.

post-4413-1262363569.jpg

post-4413-1262363586.jpg

OK, enough of the crappy comparison pics. A few more views so everybody can chuckle and snicker at my futile attempts. I can see why so many manufacturers get this not-quite-right now. What an epiphany.

post-4413-1262364069.jpg

I see where you are going with this. What a tough thing to get balanced but you can do it. I real want to do a D so you will be my guinea pig. I have scrapped my Dragon F6 and want to go with the Hasagawa kit. Unless Jerry's comes out soon.

Speaking of bad influences, guess what I got at the lhs? The Hobbycraft Operation Torch P-51 that I am going to turn into an Air Commando A model. That's all YOUR fault!!! I just need to come up with some wing pylons...

Bad bad Russ!