Herringbone Gotha - Back on the go!

seiran01

Hey Karim,

The chevrons are decals, 2 large ones per side. I wouldn't be have minded masking them but that isn't worth the effort to me when rowan already took the time to design the decals which will look just as good.

No they're going to all be the darker blue that I sprayed in the last photo, but I'm planning a replacement part or two using the hand painted lozenge decal sheet. Come to think of it, if I really go crazy maybe I'll use the hexagon lozenge from the early AEG kit on a piece or two as well. A real repair depot patch job aircraft at that point, maybe a bit much...

Hmm, maybe I should have put this in the Color My World Blue GB!

After a few days of working on seams, I was able to get the fuselage to a point where I was comfortable spraying the blue - and here we have the result.  The inner wing and vertical tail are not attached but fit well enough with friction at this point in time.

The semi-gloss Mr Paint has revealed a few other areas needing attention from sanding or tiny missed seams, but by and large I'm quite pleased.

We4wgLB.jpg?1

maybe I'll use the hexagon lozenge from the early AEG kit on a piece or two as well.

Oooo...glad you got a replacement set of decals from WnW, Mike!

Man, this is looking great. I love following your thought process re: colors.

You're getting me fired up to start mine.

Cheers from NYC,

Michael

Progress!

Seams treated, entire fuselage repainted in Alclad gray primer/microfiller, and fully repainted with MRP Marking Blue.  

Decals are not on the other side yet, but man oh man is this a striking scheme, even in current state.  Annoyingly the hair dryer seems to have disagreed with the putty and primer hiding the seam on the top spine and there is now a visible seam on part of the spine where there was no hint before decal application. 

toCrWVc.jpg

VczXBiT.jpg

Curse you, reappearing seam!   :BANGHEAD2:   FICE! (for those who aren't familiar with the FICE method of building, it means "F it, close enough")

18w3bFE.jpg

If that seam line isn't too deep, I've found that 3 or 4 coats of gloss can fill the seam and once you hit it with a flat, it will pretty much disappear.

It's really looking great though, the scheme is a ripper.

Edited by BradG

Gorgeous Mike!  FICE for sure and that is a philosophy I think I'll adopt here in the future as well.

That blue is really striking and it looks like you laid it down perfectly - well done!  Is that some subtle shading I see coming through on the horizontal stabilizer and the fuselage itself?  Nice effect.  

:popcorn:

Is that some subtle shading I see coming through on the horizontal stabilizer and the fuselage itself?  

Thanks guys,

Chris - there may be a little variation in the depth of paint, but no intentional shadings on the tail surfaces. I'm still trying to determine how I want to make this one look as real as I can, given that I'm assuming this is a total painting over of an already-painted airframe. There'd be no shading visible around the ribs but at the very least, likely some dirt would have collected around the edges of the rib tape which will be represented with a wash.