1/32 Hurricane

Radub

Inspirational work Radu. Those ailerons and flaps are not easy to make. The cockpit looks superb. Good luck with the rest of the build, I'm sure that we shall all appreciate the final product.

Best wishes

Derek

Wow, Radub, you should cast up the cockpit and offer it as an aftermarket set! It looks fantastic!

I assume this will be a Rumanian aircraft? Which are you going to do?

That looks fantastic, great scratch-building there.

I especially like the gearbays...would love to see a closer image of that piece. And I agree that you could sell those as masters for sure!

Great work!

Amazing work there, Radub. Very clean scratchbuilding skills, eh?

Are you attending Guillermo Bazan or Bill Bosworth classes?

Keep us posted.

Wow Radub, Great of you to show us your work in so much detail, we could do with some lessons like these. What truly amazing work you are doing there. True modelling!!! Keep us updated. Whoever is building or intends to build a hurricane should be following this.

WOW Radu,

That is simply amazing! Please keep us posted with your wonderful workmanship, there is a lot to be learned by staring at your pics at the way you do things.

Thanks for sharing your masterpiece.

Anthony

Hi everyone,

Thank you very much for the kind words.

I have been scratchbuilding for a while, but I never really took many photos of my work. I started doing that a couple of years ago when I got a digital camera.

I will try to answer some of the questions:

References used.

- The most important source of information are the Arthur Bentley drawings. They were printed over the past two decades in a number of publications, so they are easily available. They are available on his website. These contain detailed drawings of the cockptit framework, interior, flaps, etc.

- Books: Hawker Hurricane Inside and Out by Melvyn Hiscock, Squadron Signal Hurricane Walkaround, Modeller's Datafile by SAM publications: The Hawker Hurricane A Comprehensive Guide for the Modeller (I have to say that this book usually gets a bad press in newsgroups. That is totally unwarranted: it is absolutely fantastic when it comes to technical drawings from the pilot's or maintenance manuals, useable photos, etc) - I also spent some time around the exhibited Hurricanes in RAF Hendon, where I took notes and some photos.

The model will indeed be a Romanian Hurricane: Yellow 1 of E53 based in Mamaia, post 1941 (with crosses), my own-printed decals.

As for making the parts in resin, well, that is a completely different story. I cannot cast these particular parts, because they were not built with casting in mind, if you know what I mean. For example, the cockpit has about 70 parts, many of which are glued together. They need to be separate for casting. I can rebuild the parts with casting in mind, I had good fun doing it. I also do not have enough experience with casting resin. I tried in the past, but I do not have the necessary tools, especially the pressure and vaccum chambers. I tried to work without those, but the air bubbles made everything a mess. I will see what I can some up with.

I hope to keep updating this thread as I go along with it. All of those photos show work completed since January.

Hey Dave, thanks again for the kit.

Regards,

Radu