1/32 Wirraway

DerekB

Brilliant work on the frame! What glue did you use?

Jim

Nothing special Jim, just Revell Contacta Professional, with the long tube applicator. You'll notice I cut away the back of each joint to prevent the glue wicking along the jig, but it did just that on one joint, so there was a bit of "wrestling" to get the frame out. No breakages, so that was good. I have 2 workable frames now.

Derek

A thin slice to remove but quite a big job to achieve, I think. Not to mention getting the dihedral back and ensuring the bolt line fairings still look ok. Id suggest making a dihedral jig before sawing the wings.

Hi SBH, yes, I'll be jigging the wing dihedral and trailing edge angle (straight). Luckily the bolt attach angle fairings are pre-molded into the centre section on this kit, so I won't be touching them. Biggest job on the outer wings will be new tips, ailerons and scribing new panel lines.

It's interesting to note that Wirraway wings (based on NA-33 contract but with many NA-26 and NA-36 part numbers) are identical to BC-1 wings (NA-36 contract).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Derek! I hope 1) your build is ongoing* and 2) you can join me in migrating away from Photobucket so I can see what you've done, as this is a tremendously exciting project!

*and the Ceres book, too! Looking forward to that one immensely.

So now I have two side frames. Notice that they are not identical, and that the right frame (at the top) has one bay pushed outwards - this was to allow clearance for the rear seat to swivel and face backwards.

35346565410_a420260d2b_z.jpg

IMG_5200 by Derek Buckmaster, on Flickr

Edited by DerekB

Hi Derek! I hope 1) your build is ongoing* and 2) you can join me in migrating away from Photobucket so I can see what you've done, as this is a tremendously exciting project!

*and the Ceres book, too! Looking forward to that one immensely.

Hi Zac, yes, this build is still going... it's going to be a slow one due to work commitments, trying to get my 3D printer up and running and working to get the Ceres book finished! 

I've started using Flikr for the photos, and you can find the original album here: https://flic.kr/s/aHskYHUUDr

Edited by DerekB

• 3 months later...

Things are moving slowly on this build, as I've temporarily lost my building space.

But on the good side, I've finally published my Ceres book, so if you're interested in scratch-building an Aussie crop-duster using the drawings in the book, check out the details on my website (link below)...

Things are moving slowly on this build, as I've temporarily lost my building space.

But on the good side, I've finally published my Ceres book

I'm hoping when you regain your building space you'll buy another Texan so you can build a Ceres companion for the Wirraway!

I'm hoping when you regain your building space you'll buy another Texan so you can build a Ceres companion for the Wirraway!

Well Zac, the news is good. I already have two of these Kitty Hawk Texan kits! 

Also a little more good news, I finally got my 3D printer software working, so I will soon be printing the gear housing for the geared Wasp engine used in the Wirraway and Ceres. 

• 7 months later...