California Highway Patrol P-51D Pursuit plane- finished

BloorwestSiR

How about putting tip tanks on it and put the red and blue lights in the nose.  This will keep the pylons free for ordnance in case there is maybe a hostage situation...

I was thinking that too. I'm going to use the disposable (paper?) drop tanks in the kit and make them into tip tanks.

Carl

Why not cut the light bars into the leading edge of the wing? Make them look like extra wide landing lights...just red and blue.

I was thinking I'd mount the slime lights on the leading edge and bend them to fit. Since they're segmented, they could even flash in a pattern. If they actually worked that is.

As for light bars, I did look at those and considered the one that looks like it came off the Blade Runner Spinner. Is amazing how many different ones are out there.

Edited by BloorwestSiR

I had the Monogram BT helicopter, sold it, bought another one later, sold it, now I'm wanting another one. (I think I'll donate my brain to science so they'll have something to puzzle over for a decade or two.)

If you can find it, Aoshima made a Blue Thunder kit in 1/48 scale. They also have Stringfellow Hawk's ride i.e. Airwolf.

As for seller remorse, I bought a mountain bike from a friend. A couple years later, his girlfriend bought it from me. I regretted selling it not 24 hours later. A few more years go by and I buy it back from her. The next year, he asks if I want to sell it again. This time, I said no. I still have it but my LBS says I shouldn't ride it as it's now a collectible...

Carl

So, I finally got some bench time and worked on the Mustang.

I puttied the wings and filled in all the rivets. Using the Perfect Plastic Putty, it took much less time than I thought with the added bonus of not getting high from putty/Mr Surfacer fumes.

IMG_20150411_221002.jpg

Partway done:

IMG_20150411_223052.jpg

And finished:

IMG_20150411_225749.jpg

IMG_20150419_213743.jpg

The putty sands really nicely and dries very quickly. I will have to see what's it like with a coat of paint on it though.

Time for the MLG bay. The Dragon kit has the common error of closed gear bays stock. The Rutman conversion kit has a replacement MLG bay. Here is the front section in place.

IMG_20150419_213825.jpg

Edited by BloorwestSiR

Interesting story there, Carl. I actually like the Monogram kit, and they can be easily found, so no worries there. It really was sort of a cool movie. Warren Oates was great as the chief.

I think your photos may be out of whack there, Carl.

Should be fixed now. I've been having cut and paste problems with Photobucket. It shows the right link but pastes the same one over and over. I have to manually copy them for some reason.