Not another Mustang!

Hi Quang,

Except I've got to Trumpeter kits in the stash!  Might as well build them.

Plus a guy I've worked with on and off for 30 years is sending me a Tamiya Mossie to build for him, so I'll do my own at the same time.  Last year I built 4 FW-190D9 kits at the same time and its actually easier to batch build. Still got another 6 D9's as well as a pile of Hasegawa and Revell A's and Zoukei-Mura and PCM Ta-152's.

And another reason for doing the 262 now is I'm 67, heading for 68 and I'm quite aware that I need to live to 76 to build just the 1/32 aircraft, never mind the loft full of 1/35 armour, 1/24-5 and 1/32 cars, the 1/48 aircraft, the 1/12 Lotus 7.  Revell could hang out introducing a single seater for 5 years and I could be pushing up daisies by then!  My build rate works out at one per month since I retired last year, do the math and you'll see how many LSP kits there are to build!!!!

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Hi Guys,

Some more progress, this time the wing Stars'n'Bars.  I hope all these photos and trials and tribulations are of some help to anyone contemplating doing their own masks.  It sure isn't easy, wish someone had done a tutorial then I could have stuck to doing armour!

Underwing outline mask going on.  A pain to position, won't slide like a decal!

40964938780_3c8dcb7c28_c.jpgWing stars by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Upper wing mask.

41875035615_6c2b684e90_c.jpgWing stars by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

White paint from MMP applied in thin layers, today's airbrush of choice: the Badger Krome, a brilliant "everyday" airbrush.

40964919760_1d647e1317_c.jpgWing stars by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

The White and Blue masks were lined up using Cricut Transfer Tape then the Blue mask removed to leave only the white masked.

42725891842_018dfe94c1_c.jpgWing stars by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Here's the lower wing painted and the masks removed.

42776698931_28142a302f_c.jpgWings! by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

And the upper wing.  You can see a couple of bits where the paint has bled under the mask, down to me not taping down the ammo cover tight enough.  Easy enough to clean up.

42726295492_3ebcf44e98_c.jpgWings! by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Hi Brian,

Just reading one of your comments to Quang about Checker Tail Mustangs and I like your method of doing the squares, that may be on my list for the next Mustang (at some unspecified time in the future!). We Silhouette users have got to stick together!  

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Hi Brian,

Just reading one of your comments to Quang about Checker Tail Mustangs and I like your method of doing the squares, that may be on my list for the next Mustang (at some unspecified time in the future!). We Silhouette users have got to stick together!

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Indeed! The method worked really well, and kept the checkers all together and aligned quite well

These stencil cutter machines are definitely a bonus to our hobby. I can't recall how many projects were aborted because I had no mean to reproduce the markings.
I envy you, Silhouette owners!

Edited by quang

Hi Guys,

No photos, just an update.

The Barracuda tyres are primed and painted and the wheels have been drilled to fit the Trumpeter axles. The fuselage and wings have been shot with Finish floor gunk so tomorrow I'll be placing the service and data markings. I'll probably use the decals from my second Revell D as they are much better than the Trumpeter ones, like, by a mile! But then again, I might not, the Revell kit is too good to rob too many bits from.

Anyway, I can decide on the decals tomorrow. But I will rob the bomb rack sway braces from the Revell as the B kit's braces are an early type and the photo I'm working from shows the lighter type used later in production. The locating pins of the Trumpeter kit actually make the bomb racks sit too far back on the wing so I've chopped off the pins and the racks will be a straight surface to surface join.

Still can't believe what a badly researched kit this is. However, it's still the only game in town. By contrast, I'm just about to commence a Tamiya Mosquito build for my mate, got some fuselage and wing parts taped together, what a difference in engineering! Already got a thread running for it, hope you look in!

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

WARNING! This is for anyone using Mr Mark Setter, the decal prep from GSI. This appertains to the real Japanese product, not the EU watered down NEO version, which is useless.

If you put down one of the floor polish products as a gloss, Mr Mark Setter can react with it and cause a white bloom on the surface in a couple of seconds. How do I know? Put it this way, my Mustang is screwed!

Micro Set/Sol is much more forgiving.

I'm still going to finish off the Mustang but it's hardly worth the effort now.

To add insult to injury, the first Trumpeter decal folded and crinkled before I even got it off the backing paper. So I've used a few Revell P-51D decals but basically the model is going to be crap.

Shame, sorry to hear that Bruce!  I have had the exact same results with Mr Mark Destroyer Setter.   The times I have used it, it turned out to be WAY hotter than even Solvaset, and Solvaset is about the hottest thing I was/am willing to use.

Hence now why I no longer use either MMS nor Future for a clear. I still use Future to dip canopies in as I like to use thin CA for attachment, but I stay away from Future as a clear as it is most definitely more effected by a myriad of environmentals VS more robust options that are made specifically for the purpose of being a clear coat. 

WARNING! This is for anyone using Mr Mark Setter, the decal prep from GSI. This appertains to the real Japanese product, not the EU watered down NEO version, which is useless.

If you put down one of the floor polish products as a gloss, Mr Mark Setter can react with it and cause a white bloom on the surface in a couple of seconds. How do I know? Put it this way, my Mustang is screwed!

Micro Set/Sol is much more forgiving.

I'm still going to finish off the Mustang but it's hardly worth the effort now.

To add insult to injury, the first Trumpeter decal folded and crinkled before I even got it off the backing paper. So I've used a few Revell P-51D decals but basically the model is going to be crap.

Bruce, I have heard that if you wash any residue off with water, let dry a few days, then, respray a little of the future (klear?), the bloom can disappear. 

Hi Guys,

In the end I got some decals on from the Revell kit.  Now I've airbrushed on some Flat Finish from my diminishing stock of Poly Scale.  Then I took off the canopy masks but they've been in place for weeks and took some of the canopy frame with them.  More touching up tomorrow.

Here's the Barracuda wheels painted and ready to assemble

41095658700_8237354ef2_c.jpgIMG_5332 by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Seems like I've uploaded a few photos to Flickr that haven't shown up yet.  Try again later.

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Edited by Bruce_Crosby

Hi Guys,

Worked out the photos had uploads as private then ad to see how to view them here.  OK, I'm old and senile!

The first decal was the main data patch.  The Trumpeter decal was for their D kit (did that ever get produced?) and wrinkled the moment I looked at it, so this is from the Revell D.

42187830614_42723a9309_c.jpgIMG_5336.jpg by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

More decals on plus poly Scale Flat Finish.

42905916811_d47eb6b95d_c.jpgIMG_5337.jpg by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Sort of Mustang-ish?

42005250035_4de8d6c11a_c.jpgIMG_5338.jpg by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Regards,

Bruce Crosby