1/24 Airfix Hurricane MkI...and G-6!

Kelly

Helloo,

Here's the beginnings of said model. 

I've built one of these before and I think it is a great kit, especially when considering its venerable years.

This time I plan to pull out all the stops and add a bunch of additional detail. 

Conversion work is new to me, so I'm gonna plow on and not let the good be the enemy of nearly acceptable, otherwise I'll never finish this beast.

The really ambitious thing I plan, is to skin the model with thin plastic to get an uneven, oil canned effect as well as the raised rivets that cover the real aircraft.

I've done a bunch of tests, and it works well, but is slow and tricky. 

As to where the wheel well is at now, its painted and weathered but still at the WIP stage in some respects. Lots of home-made rivets have been added and if you are familiar with the kit, you will notice quite a few small additions here and there. 

My approach to painting is not do any pre-shading and try to weather it as layers over the top mimicking the real-life process as best I can. Lots of sanding, washes, scratching varnishing in many layers. 

Cheers,

Kels.

n2Fr3Qx.jpg

kBE9L5i.jpg

5cCOGGw.jpg

JtD0Lg1.jpg

Edited by Kelly

Sounds quite ambitious Kelly.

Are you accepting comments/suggestions ?

Of course! Suggestions are most welcome :) Thats what this forum is for!

And yes, it is ambitious.

Kels.

Looks good so far.

I just finished the same kit in Irish markings.

Just beware of the bad fitting engine pannels if you plan to close it.

Good luck with the project.

Edited by Erwin

Helloo,

Here's the beginnings of said model. 

I've built one of these before and I think it is a great kit, especially when considering its venerable years.

This time I plan to pull out all the stops and add a bunch of additional detail. 

Conversion work is new to me, so I'm gonna plow on and not let the good be the enemy of nearly acceptable, otherwise I'll never finish this beast.

The really ambitious thing I plan, is to skin the model with thin plastic to get an uneven, oil canned effect as well as the raised rivets that cover the real aircraft.

I've done a bunch of tests, and it works well, but is slow and tricky. 

As to where the wheel well is at now, its painted and weathered but still at the WIP stage in some respects. Lots of home-made rivets have been added and if you are familiar with the kit, you will notice quite a few small additions here and there. 

My approach to painting is not do any pre-shading and try to weather it as layers over the top mimicking the real-life process as best I can. Lots of sanding, washes, scratching varnishing in many layers. 

Cheers,

Kels.

n2Fr3Qx.jpg

kBE9L5i.jpg

5cCOGGw.jpg

JtD0Lg1.jpg

This should be fun, this was the first large-scale kit I ever built, back in the day in the late 80s early 90s, I got is and a Pasche Airbrush for Christmas. The level of detail was really great for the time, the other 1/23 planes in the line were much more disappointing, the 190 in particular, I couldn't get the cowl to fit. 

Probably a pain, but these small rectangles in the landing

gear bay were windows to allow the pilot to see if the gear

was up or down.

G7zQGee.jpg

hth :thumbsup:

Thank you sir! 

I'll cut those out then touch up the paint as needed.

Keep 'em coming.

Kels.

Nice start Kels. Makes me want to dust off my unfinished Fly Hurricane and continue.  :innocent:

Those rivets look very realistic. Would you care to show us how you did it?

Nice start Kels. Makes me want to dust off my unfinished Fly Hurricane and continue.  :innocent:

Those rivets look very realistic. Would you care to show us how you did it?

Thanks Quang,

There's not much to it really. Well, its simple in principle but takes time.

I'll take some photos of the process as I refine it, but for now...

There are three kinds of rivets I make, and they are basically home made versions of rivet decals, and other processes.

1. For flat and gently curved surfaces,

Cut out a shape of the thinnest styrene you can find in the correct proportions of the panel

Draw on the lines of rivets, etc and run a rivet tool over the reverse to emboss the rivets. 

Any larger size rivets can be created using needles/pins of varying sizes. 

Glue the panel to the correct location - NOT using polystyrene cement as it will melt the thin card. Use super glue, epoxy or whatever. I use a variety depending on circumstances.

2. For curved surfaces.

I don't have the skills to use the above technique on curvy complex shapes, so instead, I laboriously stab a pin on an angle into the panel, lift it to vertical to create a raised side then paint floor wax into the line of rivets to fill the hole made by the pin.

It takes several layers, but is not as time consuming as it sounds. You can see in the above photos where I have not filled the hole in enough.

3. For larger domed rivets, fasteners, etc.

Use a punch and die, to make rows of rivets on a scrap piece of styrene. 

Slice them off using a very sharp blade. 

Glue them one by one onto the surface. Again, it is slow going, but maybe not as laborious as it sounds, because you paint a line of floor wax then move the rivets into position.

lock it all down with a layer of wax then prime it all.

or: 

for smaller rivets, the same process but use the pounce wheel instead of the punch and die.

I hope that makes some kind of sense.

Cheers,

Kels.

Hello again,

Here are a series of images showing the process I'm using.

First up, the kit surface - all details sanded away...

nx9Y8Z0.jpg

Glued the two surfaces with 2 part epoxy and gave it some time to almost cure...

XEGxEvh.jpg

The raw plastic with another layer of detail added...

m9oN9R5.jpg

Primed...

oxQYeOP.jpg

And here are a couple of close ups. I still have to do a bit of clean up to get rid of the excess glue. It comes off pretty easily.

eJ3JhQP.jpg

Note the screws. Happy with how they turned out. - can't hardly see them with the naked eye (especially my tired ol' ones). 

HeloY7y.jpg

Still more details to add of course, but progressing away.

Chars,

Kels.

Edited by Kelly