Revell Arado Ar 196 B - My first LSP!

holzemjo

Hello folks,

well, here I am, my first RFI thread on my first ever LSP build :frantic: I used the gray and rainy sunday to finish the last details on my Arado Ar 196 B. It took me quite a while to finish, I started it last september. It has A LOT of flaws (which I have hopefully hidden well with my subar photography in my impromptu 'towel studio' :D ), but it looks quite nice from a meter away ;)

AM I used was the Eduard Interior Set and the HpH resin canopy. I really learned a lot on this build and sometimes even had fun between all the cussing ;) Hope you like it!

Greets, Jonas

0x9jH59.jpg?1

ERaacbp.jpg?1

KgE4e0E.jpg?1

pGaChHq.jpg?1

8RQBB7V.jpg?1

pnvO46F.jpg?1

Jonas, even without these flaws you're talking about (i'm not an expert on this kit mind you) i think you did a very nice job on the Arado.

Had both kits ( double and single float) but sold them, but still like the single float version better.

Jack.

Thank you all for your very kind words! :)

Excellent work for your first LSP! I suspect you have a lot of experience in other scales.

Thank you for suspecting this 1to1scale! Truth is, this is the fifth model I ever built, all the others being 1/72 scale. But there are so many excellent builders here on this forum that you just can't help but pick up some tricks while lurking around here :D The learning curve definitely got a lot steeper since I joined here!

Greets, Jonas

Thank you all for your very kind comments!

I love float planes! Great work Lonas. Can you help me to understand how you made and fix underwing wires?

Many thanks.

Ciao

Filippo 

I think it looks great. Well done mate. Have the same kit in my stash . Out of interest how did you do the rigging on the floats?

Concerning the rigging: It's all done with EZ line from Uschi van der Rosten, that was recommended to me by quite some people on here. For the rigging of the main float, the kit has small moulded circular thingies on the underside of the fuselage and on the four main struts, that indicate the location of the rigging. I drilled those out on the fuselage and through on the four struts. I then put two pieces of EZ line in each of the holes with CA and mounted the fuselage on the main float while paying attention not to glue any of the lines anywhere I don't want them glued. When float and fuselage were nice and secured, I took one of those 'get the thread in the needle thingies' (https://www.google.com/search?q=nadeleinf%C3%A4dler&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjQ9aPn44XbAhXLyaQKHUxGA_sQ_AUICygC&biw=708&bih=773), put it through one of the holes in the struts and used tweezers to feed the two respective lines through the tool. Then pulled it back through, hit it with a drop of CA and when everything was dry, I cut the excess EZ line and put some silver paint on the hole to make it disappear. It's not really difficult, once you wrapped your head around which wire goes where, it's just a bit fiddly...

The holes for the small underwing floats are drilled out in steps 23/26/28/31 of the instructions, together with two small holes you need for the rigging. The front 'cross' is rigged the same way I described above: Drill through the struts, EZ line, CA, bla bla bla. For the rear 'V rigging' you start at one of the holes in the wing, put it through a drilled hole in the strut and then go back to the wing.

I hope, it's clear what I mean, if not, just ask again :)

Greets, Jonas