Revell P-51D - Great, or merely Good, or ??

CANicoll

As to the fuselage gap in the tail join area: Revell instructions tell you to remove the two mating fingers on the upper aft fuselage. Do this and the fit problems go away. I expect it is there to accommodate the Filleted tail on the next release. Check the instructions carefully. I took me a while to figure what they were talking about. This should also improve the fit of the tail assembly allude to by 1 to 1 modeler.

Edited by Night Hog

As to the fuselage gap in the tail join area: Revell instructions tell you to remove the two mating fingers on the upper aft fuselage. Do this and the fit problems go away. I expect it is there to accommodate the Filleted tail on the next release. Check the instructions carefully. I took me a while to figure what they were talking about. This should also improve the fit of the tail assembly allude to by 1 to 1 modeler.

Where does it tell you to do that? Instruction steps 18 and 19 shows adding the tail halves being added to the fuselage halves. The only instruction to cut something in those two steps is to open the flashed over hole on top of the fuselage for the antenna mast. I didn't cut off the mating fingers and my fit isn't too bad, but I could see cutting off the mounting fingers could allow more tweaking of the fir.

Before using lacquer based paints, just test on a piece you are not using, or undercoat with plastic friendly primer. I had to do a bit of polishing after using Tamiya lacquer. It seems the type of plastic used does not like lacquer based paint. ( Same result with Alclad)

Nick 

I'm close to closing the fuselage up...

I think the ducting/radiator/flaps area is going to be the most challenging part of getting everything to sit nicely. It is well designed and complete. I think a couple of shims added to one part or the other will redce the need for filler when assembled.

One thing to note is that the bulk of the gap in this image will be hidden by the sides of the exit flap...

Gap-2.JPG

I can't see what the problem is around the wing gun insert. It certainly doesn't drop in as a perfect fit, but I think with a bit of shimming it'll be good enough. I certainly wouldn't have thought of it as needing replacement. The replacement cowl is meant to address the 'softness' of some of the moulding on the top of the cowl (i.e. the side of the mould where details can get soft if you're not using slide moulds). Well, again there is a softening of the detail but not what I'd want to consider worthy of replacement - after all I think there's more room for screwing up cutting the cowl off and fitting a new one than just trying to sharpen up some of the hatch and rivet detail. Just my opinion.

My opinion of the kit. Very good, second only to the Tamiya kit - but in some respects better (non riveted wing for example)..

I've got the wing built and the fuselage closed up.

The wing inserts need a bit of fettling to get the best fit. Once in they need a bit of sanding to get them looking flush.

The fuselage fit is ok. Mine has the gap at the rear by the radiator outlet. My tail fit was also the same a bit gappy but nothing to difficult to sort

I have test fitted the wing assembly to fuselage and this also needs some fettling. I have carved away a bit of the plastic by the wing root area on the fuselage to allow the wing assembly to sit fully forward and close most of the gaps in the wing root.

The carb intake on the nose is not the best fit I've fettled this to make the fit better but it will still need some filler.

I'll need. To add the panel line on the cowl top and the fasteners. I glued a bit of sprue to the underside of the cowl join to beef up that join to withstand the scribing and riveting to come..

I've been building this concurrently with the Tamiya 1/48 Ki-61 given the engineering and moulding quality on that it definitely influences my thoughts on the Revell kit..

I think the Mustang is a good kit. The cockpit detail is great OOB. Construction is not shake n bake. Panel detail is a little soft. It's a lot for not much money.

HTH

I have test fitted the wing assembly to fuselage and this also needs some fettling. I have carved away a bit of the plastic by the wing root area on the fuselage to allow the wing assembly to sit fully forward and close most of the gaps in the wing root.

HTH

I spent a bit of time on this. All I had to do was sand a little off the side of the fuselage, then it all sort of clicks together and will stay put dry. If you look carefully, there are a lot of places that the fuse has to lock onto the wing.

Mind you, I forgot to fit the joystick first... Fortunately, you can't see most of the horizontal bar, because I'll have to cut it short

Richard

Yes I've spent a bit of time this Am tweaking the fit here and there. I scraped a bit off of the inside of the fuselage wing root and this has allowed the wing to sit flush leaving a minimal step between the fuse wing root and the wing top surface.

The fit is pretty good it just needs a minor tweak here an there to get it all to fit.

Cheers

John