Out2gtcha

Ok boys and girls, I tried to take a day off from this place to see if a bit of time away from here would help my slightly deteriorated mental health, but it turns out in just one day of not posting too much if anything, I missed it.  Turns out it was something else, but LSP is my home away from home and my bastion of well being it seems..............

SO onto it then!   I got a bit of gumption from K1s suggestion of injecting some resin under that area via a hole drilled in the cowl. This is exactly what I set out to to, and exactly what I did.

What I ended up using was some "EasyCast" two part clear epoxy resin and a syringe. This two part resin is not only strong, but designed for water applications, so very clear, and a lot less likely to be seen inside the cowl by a judges flashlight if I can get this one knocked out for the NATs:

20180519_124413-XL.jpg

20180519_124311-XL.jpg

Basically I just "drilled" a hole in the cowl (I used quotes here because drill is really only a euphemism as I really only pushed on the cowl with the bit and it went right through) and used the syringe to inject a considerable amount of clear resin into the top of the cowl, after covering the hole with some Tamiya tape.

You can kinda see the small hole punched here:

20180519_124518-XL.jpg

20180519_124523-XL.jpg

The syringe technique seemed to work great, and the two part resin dried hard as nails and quite smooth (looking at the cup of extra resin to judge how it dried) so I was very happy about that.

The only thing that went a tad awry was the fact that I had to adjust the tape during all this and you can see a bit of the clear resin leaked onto the top of the fuse:

20180519_124528-XL.jpg

This ended up actually being NBD at all, as I found the leak not too far into the drying time; not so far as to be completely rock solid like it ended up drying to, but not so soon after injecting it that it wasn't gooey at all either. 

I've been a bit busy with other stuff after I did this, so the resin has been dried for several days. The VERY busy and "outdoorsey" US holiday of Memorial Day is upon us here in the US, so that means more outdoor stuff, and its supposed to be hot and sunny over the long weekend, so Ill likely take the doors off the Jeep and have some outdoor fun............
Will probably try to get around to this at night though, as I really have a desire to get back to the bench lately.

Cheers gents! 

I love your builds Brian, you have bold solutions, crazy persistence, dedication and mad skills.  The combination of all of that is such a refreshing and motivational boost for my twisted brain :)

Cheers

M

MGAS_WEB_Blues.jpg

I love your builds Brian, you have bold solutions, crazy persistence, dedication and mad skills.  The combination of all of that is such a refreshing and motivational boost for my twisted brain :)

Cheers

M

MGAS_WEB_Blues.jpg

Now that is a cool pic!    I wonder how hard the bugs were having to "stomp on the brakes" to keep down with that Extra............or conversely how much throttle the little extra had to employ to keep up with the bugs! 

With me, that makes three in the gang then ...

Hubert

Thanks Hubert, Im right there with ya....................and if Im honest, I just want a modeling "win" at this point, which would be the completion of this model. Ill honestly be glad when this one is finished. Its become a bit of a problem child at the end, and I feel like for something so small its taken a LOT out of me modelling wise.   That is not to say that's all on Icaerodesign, Its likely a lot of my own doing as well. 

That is not to say that's all on Icaerodesign, Its likely a lot of my own doing as well. 

I kinda feel like I need to quantify this statement.  I dont Icaerodesign to be "at fault" for any of my issues. My only problem is really the thinness of the initial moldings as it seems to be that way on both of the cowls I had. No issues with that, as sometimes its needed for the space to fit things in like the Lycoming, but it was just a bit too thin to work with at the time. 

The commitment to succeed mixes with the skills and out of the box ideas here are amazing.

Thanks for that Tony, much appreciated. I cant take credit for the resin Idea, that was actually K1s, but it worked splendidly, and at this point Id try anything to finish out this build in an acceptable fashion. 

• 2 weeks later...

Brian

Looking good and looks like this is surely the cure!

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thanks Peter!   Well I think the resin injection trick worked!

At least for the most part....................Im pretty sure I had some clear resin leakage into the center opening of the cowl where I have some foam and tape to mask that hole off, but I think i may end up having to cut it out of there, and it may cause some damage to the white parts around the opening.

However, Im worrying that later, as right now I just want to concentrate on getting the plane fully painted, then I can move on to touch-ups, then final details and assembly.

For such a small thing, this plane sure has given me fits! 

Now for some pics...................

After injecting the resin though a hole I punched in the top of the cowl, it seemed to harden off really nicely. I filled a couple little dips in the surface after sanding too. You can see here the results of the first round of sanding.

You can see from these pics just how thin the cowl really was. The longer gray/clear looking mark behind the dark black primer mark I exposed while sanding, is ALL clear resin:

20180601_212313-XL.jpg

20180601_212318-XL.jpg

I also  smoothed out the last round, and put another round of primer on the base. Although its a bit hard to see any details with it being stark white. This will get another round of intensive sanding, then if needed more rounds of primer until Im satisfied its smooth enough. Later I will apply the color which will be some MRP white to the main top circle of the base, then I will apply some checker masks I made:

20180601_222129-XL.jpg

20180601_222145-XL.jpg

Next up while the primer on the base was drying, I applied the exhaust headers and intake runners to the engine and got it glued up, ready for detailing:

20180601_222424-XL.jpg

20180601_222435-XL.jpg

20180601_222459-XL.jpg

20180601_222528-XL.jpg

Finally after drying and some sanding of the cowl I applied a layer of MRP white to act as a guide coat to see how much filling and/or sanding was left to be done. Turns out I think we are well on our way, as only 1 small area seems to need some attention. Then after that I will be ready for a final layer of white before RE-applying the masks to fix the red stripes on the fuse, then removing those, and applying the blue mask so I can shoot the metallic blue.

Not too bad!  Getting there for sure:

20180601_222233-XL.jpg

20180601_222238-XL.jpg

All for now gents, but will be back on this tonight to do some final sanding on the nose, and hopefully apply the final coat of white!

Cheers,

Guest Peterpools

Brian

Fantastic repair and save. Glad you didn't give up on the Extra

Keep 'em comin

Peter