Dieselpunk BF 109

spacewolf

Your "rough sketches" look pretty darned good to me (and I'm not easily impressed).

Really ?.... hmmm... :hmmm: .... Having only the oblique sketch I just drew what I saw and tried to make everything 'look right'.. there are no hard rules or detailed drawings, just winging it and making it up as I go. Thus far I've been lucky and everything has worked.. albeit with the odd bit of cussin and redoing here and there !

Luv this and really looking forward to seeing it advance.

Thanks... it's coming along... not as fast (or as fun) as the domed city but it's neat to see the model developing through the cloud of styrene dust and flying bits of plastic !!

Ok kids..... It's update time !!.. :yahoo:.... been a long week and as always work interferes with my quality bench time but things are getting done !!

Still working on the rear of the fuselage I cut out a former and two side bits...the side bits and the cutout will form the slot for the tab on the vertical stabilizer .......

9LGS2pU.jpg

Glued in place...

RU9u1DW.jpg

Again, with no drawings I just sketched up some shapes that looked close and cut plastic..ribs to get the shape..

4ShexUm.jpg

While letting the glue dry I cut out the fuselage doubler..

AEPZU1k.jpg

The edge was angled with a blade and sanding sticks...

T17EWqD.jpg

With that started I kept looking at the drawing and what I'd built and things looked wrong... the ribs seemed too wide... so I grabbed my chisel blade and started cutting....

lekjVoZ.jpg

To my eye this looked MUCH better..

K9Ti9a3.jpg

Things seemed to flow shape wise so I felt I was on the right track...

fQaHRK8.jpg

Using my old tried and true method I planked the rear fuselage.. I built in a side scoop... not totally happy with it but we'll see what happens..

Lr0n7hh.jpg

Extending the front doubler over the nose.. again everything is blending in smoothly.. love to see this coming together... specially sense I REALLY don't know what I'm doing !! :frantic:

XXVKxdk.jpg

Back to the nose.... Had no real plan, just started cutting shapes and gluing things on... added the lower face and started the angle to the belly..

PSSyg1N.jpg

More bits...

0bfOWDL.jpg

doubled strips..

V9nkFZw.jpg

The inside edge of the 'radiator' is flat and angled out slightly so the part was cut and one edge shaved down..

O46Z8sT.jpg

Rough, but taking shape... lots of sanding to do...

3HdVwqU.jpg

Carving, sanding, dust & chips everywhere !!.. but it's starting to look like something !

HZLTsdD.jpg

At this point I was getting excited... It was looking really close to what I wanted..

5WPfIcq.jpg

Withe the top bits glued on and sanded down I was chuffed !!

KtXdtZW.jpg

So there we are for now. Tune in next week to see if your intrepid glue sniffer is still getting anywhere besides covered in dust, chips and gluing his fingers together !! :frantic: