Martlesham Misses - 1/32 camels

RLWP

Well, here goes...

Not every prototype aeroplane was a success, and here are a couple that weren't

Both-1.JPG

The one on the left will be the unique F.1/4 (or 4F.1, or whatever) taper wing prototype built by Sopwith in 1917 and tested at Martlesham Heath. 

Taper-1.JPG

I bought an Academy kit ages ago pretty cheap, and read reviews of the kit afterwards. The wings were, um, unusual. The usual description is 'like a starving cow' which is pretty fair. I could see I was going to have to do a lot of work on them to get something reasonable so I shelved the kit. Only, in the back of the Camel datafile is a lovely drawing by Ian Stair. hmm, what an interesting 'plane. And if I was going to have to work on the wings anyway....

On the right is B3811, delivered in July 1917 with a Gnome Monosoupape engine.

B3811-1.JPG

This is the Academy Clerget Camel kit, which I also bought cheap. I'm afraid I'm a bit of a bodger, so fitting one of the less usual engines appealed to me. The engine is the Roden one, the Academy Clerget has gone into the taper wing plane

In the middle is the Part photoetch kit (S32030) - it's very useful for dressing up one of these kits - I've just ordered another one for 3811

Looks like this is just the wrong time for this thread, I guess LSP is about to get overrun with WNW camel builds

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Part in Poland www.part.pl

This is the etch:

s32030.jpg

The instructions are here: http://www.jadarhobby.pl/part-s32030-sopwith-camel-f1-132-p-13242.html?language=en

I need to check this etch more often. I spent ages making rockers for the Gnome, today I spotted there are eighteen of them on the etch!

Richard

Those spoked wheels are great - I haven't found a picture of a camel with uncovered wheels yet

Part in Poland www.part.pl

This is the etch:

s32030.jpg

Those spoked wheels are great - I haven't found a picture of a camel with uncovered wheels yet

Wow, COOL!  That is terrific...................I was actually thinking the same thing..............was trying to find a picture of a Camel with uncovered wheels 

I bought an Academy kit ages ago pretty cheap, and read reviews of the kit afterwards. The wings were, um, unusual. The usual description is 'like a starving cow' which is pretty fair. I could see I was going to have to do a lot of work on them to get something reasonable so I shelved the kit.

Pretty much what I did.  I like that description of the wings!!  I'm doing mine atm, as I thought I ought to actually build it before I bought a WNW or two.  No WIP, but watch out in "RFI".

Your pair look very interesting, looking forward to seeing them finished.

It's always the same. I share a picture, then get dissatisfied with what I have done

The Clerget looked so much better, so I replaced the pushrods on the Gnome:

Gnome-1.JPG

Much better, and probably not far off scale size. That'll do

I fitted the 'spark plugs' from the Part etch to the Clerget:

Clerget-1.JPG

Incidentally, I turned up a new cam box for the Clerget so i could get the inlet and exhaust pushrods staggered. I used a bit of scrap sprue from one of the kits

Richard

MORE: Cruel, cruel close ups - one of the pushrods needs fixing...

Edited by RLWP