Spent last evening attempting to print my own decal for the tiger crest on my ink jet printer. The experiment nearly worked, but the large black disc in the background came out dark grey, with very tiny crackles like the bottom of a dried puddle. Also the black stripes on the tiger were more greyish, and also had minute cracks. It was almost passable, but once I noticed I couldn't ignore it. The orange and yellows seem quite good. Obviously the dark inks don't like the decal paper. I'll rethink it and try again tonight. I have proper sized roundel decals, and I can mask and spray most of the rest of the markings, but I would like the tiger crest to be nice and crisp since it is so prominent.
And after deciding I would try not to get too involved with precise details, I found myself sorting out what kind of signals equipment this particular Mustang had. From the research I've done on RCAF Mustangs, over time you can see several variations of radios, IFF and radio compass fits behind the seat armour...and that also changes what panels are in the cockpit. I also have drawings of the target towing gear that was installed, and the pull handle in the cockpit which released the target. And trying to determine what colour the interior was...matte black or interior green...RCAF Mustangs could be either. It's all a bit of a rabbit hole, but it's a fun rabbit hole.
I'll try to put up photos tonight, I had problems with Photobucket again last night.