1/24 Trumpeter Hurricane Mk1

LSP_Matt

Matt,

Can I offer a constructive opinion on the weathering?

I find it really tricky to resist the urge not to overweather the pit in 1/24 and I usually end up regretting it.

The weathering technique is first rate, but might it be distributed too sporadically? The armour plate would get worn in some areas where the pilot gets in and out, but ither bits are spared. Same with the seat.

On the prop, wear is greatest at the tips but there is usually way less wear at the blade bases. Just an observation and nothing a Q-tip in thinners cant fix.

Cool, Matty! :rolleyes: I've never had this kit, so it's a hoot to watch it go together. Thanks for all the progress pics, as it gives those of us who've never seen this kit a real good looksy on what everything looks like. Looks like a real sweety!

Keep up the steam,....yer on a roll!!! Looking forward to the next installment of progress pics. Later, Russ

Matt,

Can I offer a constructive opinion on the weathering?

I find it really tricky to resist the urge not to overweather the pit in 1/24 and I usually end up regretting it.

The weathering technique is first rate, but might it be distributed too sporadically? The armour plate would get worn in some areas where the pilot gets in and out, but ither bits are spared. Same with the seat.

On the prop, wear is greatest at the tips but there is usually way less wear at the blade bases. Just an observation and nothing a Q-tip in thinners cant fix.

Of course Dave...

You're spot on about the weathering. I'll tweak it with some additional green when the undercoat is dry. Hehe...I did go kinda nuts enjoying the look rather than how its meant to be distributed. I'll tweak the prop as well...an easy fix.

I have this kit so I'll be watching this build closely. One thing: I'm thinking the blades are[were] woooden on this propellor. Rotol,I'm thinking?

RD

I'll check that...thanks for the tip.

You'll love building this kit...its almost falling together by itself. I'm looking forward to building the MarkIIB as its my daughters initials (AKG) in the decals and a very cool North African desert scheme...love those dusty faded paint jobs.

Cool, Matty! :P I've never had this kit, so it's a hoot to watch it go together. Thanks for all the progress pics, as it gives those of us who've never seen this kit a real good looksy on what everything looks like. Looks like a real sweety!

Keep up the steam,....yer on a roll!!! Looking forward to the next installment of progress pics. Later, Russ

thanks Russ :-)

I've filled and sanded a couple of very minor seam glitches but the wings, tail are all together and she's been sprayed with Mr surfacer 500. I'll wait until it drys then commence the camo. I've already painted a base colour coat underneath.

Tomorrow I have to pay for my new fridge and then the kids and I are off to look at the dead whale if its still there. ( the kids are so excited :rolleyes: )

Cheers Matty

I have this kit so I'll be watching this build closely. One thing: I'm thinking the blades are[were] woooden on this propellor. Rotol,I'm thinking?

RD

yep------wooden prop blades on rotol (rolls royce/bristol aero. co.---rotol) .

dave.

Looks great ,Matty. Fast too.

I think the weathering on the seat looks fine but the plate behind it might be a bit over done and the prop is an easy fix (I probably would have done the same thing). Everything else looks spot on to me :rolleyes:

The 1/24s are excellent models if you have the space. Not sure how I'm going to cope when I start into the 1/32-scale twins I've collected.

• 4 months later...

Looking good so far Matty - the Hurricane seems to be one of those aircraft that suits 1/24 scale admirably for some reason (I haven't really seen a progress build on the Trumpeter kit, so it shall be interesting - I, like many other modellers, have the Airfix version as well). The general comments on weathering appear to be sound and sage - I think that trying to visulise that this is almost a metalised biplane, as opposed to a full metal monocoque airframe, will probably go a long way to helping you determine the amount of overall weathering to apply. Great build so far, I am looking forward to seeing more (the desert scheme sounds really cool :lol:).

Cheers

Derek

Hey Matty!

Any progress? You were screaming right along for a while there... I'd love to see more!

Hey Dave...Hmmm...I was then I fell into a heap. The trumpeter decals are diabolical and I've been muttering a fair bit and wondering what to do. Doing the proverbial ...do I finish it or take them off/paint over them. I'll get my finger out this weekend (after replacing mums front fence) and get some piccies.

Looking good so far Matty - the Hurricane seems to be one of those aircraft that suits 1/24 scale admirably for some reason (I haven't really seen a progress build on the Trumpeter kit, so it shall be interesting - I, like many other modellers, have the Airfix version as well). The general comments on weathering appear to be sound and sage - I think that trying to visulise that this is almost a metalised biplane, as opposed to a full metal monocoque airframe, will probably go a long way to helping you determine the amount of overall weathering to apply. Great build so far, I am looking forward to seeing more (the desert scheme sounds really cool :lol:).

Cheers

Derek

Thanks Derek. I changed the prop and following Dr Daves comments laid off the weathering on the backrest.

Its a great kit...I've really enjoyed it. I have this terrible disease though...start_another_kit_itis.

Oh...saw Bills post about the P40F. If my netsearch is accurate that plane might be only a few minutes away from me down here on the peninsula. I'll do some checking during business hours tomorrow. Funny thing is I was on the deck a month or so ago and saw a few warbirds flying by in the distance...if my aircraft recog was anywhere near accurate I came away thinking I'd seen a La5 or 9 flying alongside a Mustang. I'd heard of a local Yak9 but maybe its a La9...just as good. Hopefully the P40F will be there and I can get the skinny on the detail you need behind the radiator flaps.

Cheers Matty

Oh...saw Bills post about the P40F. If my netsearch is accurate that plane might be only a few minutes away from me down here on the peninsula. I'll do some checking during business hours tomorrow. Funny thing is I was on the deck a month or so ago and saw a few warbirds flying by in the distance...if my aircraft recog was anywhere near accurate I came away thinking I'd seen a La5 or 9 flying alongside a Mustang. I'd heard of a local Yak9 but maybe its a La9...just as good. Hopefully the P40F will be there and I can get the skinny on the detail you need behind the radiator flaps.

Cheers Matty

If you could arrange to peek under and behind those cowl gills (and take some pictures) that would be both brilliant and invaluable to me - thanks Matt. :D

(PS I know exactly what you mean abou the start_another_kit_itis! :D)

Cheers

Derek

• 3 months later...

A few more. Thanks to all those with constructive criticism.

Nice to get one over zee line with each one being a little better and more predictable than the last. Nice to finish a model in a GB as well. This GB was a bit special though eh?

Cheers Matty

post-901-1262357415.jpg

post-901-1262357440.jpg

post-901-1262357697.jpg