ME-262 1/32 Trumpeter

Warbird

Hi Guys,

I started to build the Trumpeter ME-262 a few months ago but I have lacked time to open a WIP thread sooner. I'll then begin at the painting phase.

Overall, the Trumpeter kit is rather nice although it suffers from a few inaccuracies, nothing that can be quite easily corrected though. The most challenging (annoying) drawback being that the engine nacelles, gun cowlings and forward fuselage need some serious work to have them perfectly aligned, and that it meant hours spent in rescribing and re-riveting. Otherwise, the slats deserve some corrections if positioned extended, which is always the case when on the ground.

I intend to represent a well known KG.51 machine, 9k+FH. Marking will be made using my Silhouette cutter.

Any insight on the colors used ont this airplane is welcomed. I'm hesitating between a 81/82 base with 02 or 76 (gray green) spots. Or a 81 only base. Spots might be a light green too.

1-me-210.jpg

0a816a10.jpg

e57f0210.jpg

fb3d0610.jpg

Here is where I stand. You can see signs of struggle on the area mentionned above.

img_1610.jpg

img_1611.jpg

Cheers

Hi Warbird, 

I wish you had started this build from the beginning, so that we mere mortals could have seen you address and correct the problems that have mentioned. I have one of these kits  on my "to do" pile (which is getting bigger all the time). 

I look forward to seeing more of this build and will be following this thread to help to promote my model to the front of the pile.

Bob.

I'm also building this kit but a few steps behind you.  I'm just starting to get a handle on the fit issues that you mention.  I'm buttoning down all of the panels on my build too and I hope that I can do as good a job as you've done.

Amended : RLM 81 Brown fuselage /82 Dark green ) -  with 83 light green spots ... (look at the GI's Khaki pants for comparison) also red/brown nose cone with light grey putty lines (vertical pair) ... there also seems to be 76 light blue/grey overspray rear of aircraft  towards and under stabilisers... almost starting from rear of cockpit ( scribble pattern and some spots too) - dark brown rudder with light green overspray - heavier green overspray more prominent starboard side of rudder.

white tips etc.

Pip

WBYey7Y.jpg

Edited by Piprm

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your comments!

I found some time to apply a coat of grey primer (mostly straight from the can), I then had to make corrections here and there, and then a solid coat of AS-12.The slats have been modified and will be glued later on to avoid breaking them.

img_1614.jpg

img_1612.jpg

img_1613.jpg

Regarding the camo colors, I'm leaning toward an overall RLM81 upper surface with RLM 76 (probably blue green variation) spots. The pictures below show that the spots color is closed to the underside color and that the base color looks pretty uniform in terms of shade. RLM 76 underside except for wings,left bare metal (this is a guess as I couldn't find a picture of this area).

7a2d9410.jpg

eddbe010.jpg

After the overall coat of AS-12, the forward section was painted in Alclad steel, simply because this section was indeed made of steel. Also, some underside panels have been painted with Alclad dark aluminium.

I have now started to roughly apply dark grey over panel lines and rivets, following the pattern seen on the Me-262 111711. A lighter grey will be used over the steel section.

img_1616.jpg