Marmite chipping???

It makes sense, if you think about it.  A slow drying substance that could be wiped off after airbrushing your topcoats over it.  I would be afraid that my chips looked too rounded.  Or that the model itself would set my stomach to heaving every time I got near it.

The stuff stinks like death, though.  I ate a vegemite half-sandwich to please my family at my Australian Citizenship Ceremony.  I managed not to vomit, but it was a close run thing.

But this is the first time I ever heard of it used this way.

Gaz

Edited by Gazzas

I love it on hot toast with lashings of butter, and it makes a great flavouring for gravy and stews.  But in modelling?  Never tried it, probably never will, too busy eating it.

Edit: having looked at the link, perhaps I might give it a go.

Edited by MikeC

You could use anything that didn't have acid...like ketchup...or oils...like mayonnaise...or staining agents like mustard...or solvents like vaseline ...  aka petroleum jelly...  or things that would leave a sugary residue like strawberry jelly...  That narrows down the condiments list a lot, I'd think.

Vegemite and Marmite are essentially waste from the brewing process.  Consistency-wise they are like the grease you would use for bearings.

Point is they are just gooey water soluble and salt rich, so a scrub with water on a brush brings them off. They don't dry fully and stay gooey and if you miss any, it's easy to see as a blob under the paint. Have a go. On armour, I don't wash it off once I've scrubbed itThe paint washings act as a detail wash once dry. Looks effective. Model smells like marmite on toast.