F-type canopy for Trump. Me-109G2??

Menelaos

do we know what camo his last Me-109G2 had??

There are no known photos and little documentary evidence.   Both JG 27 and Der Oberbefehlshaber SUD submitted reports on the accident.  In the latter the space for markings is left blank. The aircraft is listed as brand new  Bf 109 G-2, W.Nr 14256, on its first combat flight.

In late September 1942 3./ JG 27 received six brand new Bf 109 G-2/ Trop machines.  Marseille had flown at least two of these aircraft in combat on or after September 22.

Since these aircraft were brand new, they most probably had the standard factory high demarcation RLM 79 Sandgelb over RLM 78 Hellblau camouflage with a white spinner, wing tips and theater band, but no one knows for sure.

Edited by RBrown

Not sure about that, but the proportions of the upper wing cross (decal #1) is incorrect, so that throws the rest of the sheet's accuracy into doubt in my mind.   If you can't spend the five minutes it takes to Google the exact proportions of that cross, well...

Also the white outline Balkenkreuz is incorrect for 8673. 

Edited by RBrown

Marseille actually wasn't a big fun of the new arived G2...he reported problems with the ac ...and wanted to flow further his F4....what a fate.... :(   he was the best of the best...in my eyes a much better pilot than Hartmann...(not to want to make Hartmann a less better ace ...)

Edited by Menelaos

Marseille actually wasn't a big fun of the new arived G2...he reported problems with the ac ...and wanted to flow further his F4....what a fate.... :(   he was the best of the best...in my eyes a much better pilot than Hartmann...(not to want to make Hartmann a less better ace ...)

I agree Dr.M,

Marseille was a first class marksman and Hartmann was a skilled, cunning and opportunistic hunter... two very different yet effective strategies! We must not forget the differences in environment, opponents and equipment between the two aces... makes for fascinating reading!

I met a very old Luftwaffe mechanic once (who was in the same unit as Marseilles) at the Berlin tecknik museum - I remember him saying you could count the remaining cannon rounds after he returned from operations - as he was highly accurate in his deflection shooting and didn't waste ammunition - a true testament to outstanding marksmanship!!

Cheers

Alan

I agree Dr.M,

Marseille was a first class marksman and Hartmann was a skilled, cunning and opportunistic hunter... two very different yet effective strategies! We must not forget the differences in environment, opponents and equipment between the two aces... makes for fascinating reading!

I met a very old Luftwaffe mechanic once (who was in the same unit as Marseilles) at the Berlin tecknik museum - I remember him saying you could count the remaining cannon rounds after he returned from operations - as he was highly accurate in his deflection shooting and didn't waste ammunition - a true testament to outstanding marksmanship!!

Cheers

Alan

Alan yes...Marseille was THE ace of aces. Not want to make Hartmann a less better ace....I had the luck to meet Hartmann a few years before his death and shake his hand . It was a short meeting, but even that it was very impressive to see him and hear him. Even we didn't talk about those times he made a very positive impression to me.. 

look at the pop and front canopy (this is a G type ) behind Marseille...is this his last AC??

tumblr_nt4velvwkc1rwiivfo1_1280.jpg

That is a very interesting photograph.   It is a poor likeness but comparison with another image clearly establishes that it is Marseille in the photo...

40909981135_293d27b3d2_b.jpg

The canopy and presence of the cooling scoop clearly confirm that the machine is a Bf 109 G.  This would be one of six Bf 109 G-2/ Trops that 3./JG 27 received around September 20, 1942.

This is the only photo I have seen of Marseille with a Bf 109 G in North Africa.

That is a very interesting photograph.   It is a poor likeness but comparison with another image clearly establishes that it is Marseille in the photo...

The canopy and presence of the cooling scoop clearly confirm that the machine is a Bf 109 G.  This would be one of six Bf 109 G-2/ Trops that 3./JG 27 received around September 20, 1942.

This is the only photo I have seen of Marseille with a Bf 109 G in North Africa.

both photos are from the same day . Look at the pipe on his chest pocket...and the same sun potection glasses

Edited by Menelaos