• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 MustangManiac

MustangManiac

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 03:41 AM

Hi Paul has an XP-40Q ever crossed your mind for a future subject? There were only two of these built, I believe, but one was a racer and one was a military paint scheme. There are kits for this in 1/72 and 1/48 scale but not 1/32 scale. The racer was bare Aluminum and the military version was your usual OD green over neutral gray. Would this possible future subject be appealing to you and good for business? I have a 1/48 scale resin kit if you need reference parts.

Cheers,
Brady
  • Martinnfb likes this

#2 MustangManiac

MustangManiac

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 05:00 AM

Hello everyone,

Here's some pictures of the XP-40Q for if there's anyone here who doesn't know exactly what the XP-40Q looks like including the racer:

http://www.flickrive...0q/interesting/

Here's an explanation of the differences between the three made, I was wrong in my first post, there were three XP-40Qs made not just two and some pictures:

https://oldmachinepr...curtiss-xp-40q/

Cheers,

Brady

#3 reconspit

reconspit

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:14 AM

Beautyful...., nice bird...
D3528C7EA98149EC9B42.jpeg

- Fly Models Hawker Hurricane Mk.I trop
- Hasegawa Ki 44 Shoki

#4 seiran01

seiran01

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 12:32 PM

No idea how popular a kit would be in 1/32 but I've always found the -Q to be a gorgeous bird

#5 OldTroll

OldTroll

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 04:21 PM

Not likely that there would be sufficient demand for this "two three off" to entice Mr. Fisher to invest the time, energy and money to produce the kit.  Since the originals were essentially completely new airframes a full kit would be needed.  The model's fuselage would require major modifications (or a complete new fuselage) and the clipped wings would need cutting and new tips at a minimum.  Time for the scratch-builders or vacuform vendors to show their skills.  And yes, the "Q" was a lovely bird.

(Edited to reflect data in the Old Machine Press article.)

Edited by OldTroll, 20 August 2017 - 06:21 AM.

#6 MustangManiac

MustangManiac

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:11 PM

We'll see if it is appealing to Paul, I know the 1/48 scale kit is one hard to find and two always a competition to get on eBay along with being pretty high in price for a 1/48 scale kit. These we're not completely new airframes either Ron it was a cut down fuselage from a Razorback style to a Bubbletop canopy and an upgraded engine and propeller but not a whole new Airframe. Also I corrected myself in my last post, there were three not just two made.

Brady

#7 seiran01

seiran01

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:19 PM

Think Ron's right sadly.
Brady- was the wing thinner or reshaped? Or same wing as older models, with squared-off tips?

#8 LSP_Ron

LSP_Ron

• LSP Moderator
  • 17,015 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 11:43 PM

IIRC it's a laminar flow wing to compete against the Mustang but it didn't cut the mustard. 

I can't see this being a viable product to be honest.  99% of the people out there likely have never heard of this bird.

Ron

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Douglas Adams

When I die, I'll be on time

#9 MustangManiac

MustangManiac

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:07 AM

Brady- was the wing thinner or reshaped? Or same wing as older models, with squared-off tips?

Mike,

It states on the website I posted by Old Machine Press above, that there's no information stating that the XP-40Q used the laminar flow wings any time. My understanding is that there was a modification to the center section of the first one to make room for the oil cooler intakes and original wings were used. Then the other modification I gathered was they clipped the wingtips of the original set of wings for at least the XP-40Q-3 The article attached is actually an interesting read if you want to know the details of the history of the XP-40Q and its modifications. I'm still going to have hope until Paul says he won't even entertain the idea of doing an XP-40Q, especially since it can be a military version and a racer for him to sell.

Brady

#10 MustangManiac

MustangManiac

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:19 AM

Beautyful...., nice bird...

I agree sir! Some I've talked to in the past about it have been amazed at how similar it looks to the P-51 in it's graceful lines from certain angles more than others and the similarities between the two in look in flight.

Cheers,

Brady

#11 seiran01

seiran01

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 04:29 AM

Thanks, didn't see the link, I'm checking in occasionally on my phone while managing a massive trade show

#12 LSP_Ray

LSP_Ray

• LSP Moderator
  • 9,567 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 05:50 AM

The XP-47H and J would also be cool, but like the XP-40Q, I doubt there would be enough sales to make it viable.

Ken Jerndstadt was one of the Republic test pilots that flew the XP-47's after coming back from the Flying TIgers, so I would love to do one, but I am sure it would be a losing proposition.

Ken Jernstadt was from McMinnville, OR, came back after the war and eventually became a state senator. I was lucky enough to listen to him speak at model contest (they gave him a XP-47H in one of those lessor scales) before he died and he was a really nice guy.

Posted Image
Ray "Bad Omen" Peterson

#13 Jennings Heilig

Jennings Heilig

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,503 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:17 PM

XP-40Q, P-47H, or F4U-4/4B conversion

Which do you think would sell more units?

"It's all part of the show..."

#14 MustangManiac

MustangManiac

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:24 AM

XP-40Q, P-47H, or F4U-4/4B conversion

Which do you think would sell more units?

Sadly almost hands down the F4U-4 conversion, unless someone finally produces an accurate kit in 1/32 scale like a lot of us have begged Tamiya to do.

Truly I'd love to have all three myself Jennings.

Thanks, didn't see the link, I'm checking in occasionally on my phone while managing a massive trade show

No problem Mike.

Cheers,

Brady

#15 LSP_Ray

LSP_Ray

• LSP Moderator
  • 9,567 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 03:01 AM

I would go for a F4u-5/5N and/or an AU-1,F4u-7 conversion rather than the -4. 

• paul fisher likes this
Posted Image
Ray "Bad Omen" Peterson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users