F-14B UPGRADE 1/32 Tomcat

Fancherello

Fanch, how exactly did you do that stunning weathering on the intake ducts? Oils? 

Hello !

First I applied surfacer primer and a coat of Tamiya X-2 gloss white. I applied some small blotches of liquid mask wit a small foam padThen i sprayed highly thinned H79 sand yellow as a mottling adding a few drops of smoke along the process. Next I removed the liquid mask and softened and adjusted the contrast with a Micromesh pad ( 3200 ). This also helped adding some tiny scratches. Then I applied again some liquid mask en repeated the same steps, then again a third time.

A good reason to choose X-2: it is rocksolid and can bear the treatment with no fear.

I masked the white and applied and weathered some light grey with vertical light lines on the sides, and a wash and a few spots of oil paint ( peach black )

I hope this helps !

Fanch

Edited by Fancherello

• 3 weeks later...

A little update today !

I'm working my seamlines, filling, shaping ( especially the lower front fuselage plate which fit poorly in my assembly ), so I've taken a bit of time for detailing and change my mind.

I've opened the to small air conditiong grids, replaced them by eduard parts. These needed a framing correctiong as they are not symetrical. The fans have been made with strip styrene and  small tubes coming from sacrified pipettes

F14B_100.jpg

F14B_101.jpg

F14B_102.jpg

This intake contour and lips were badly and poorly shaped. Drilling was also absolutely necessary on this scale.

best regards

Fanch

Edited by Fancherello

• 2 weeks later...

hello

an little updtae tonight:

I'm still working on the airframe. On one of LSP fine member's adivice I got rid of some awful rivets ( nose and engine nacelles ), and i'm now working to make a rendition of many panel lines that were filled by some sealant. Daco book shows fresh lines but also some old marks of putty. I tried to replicate thos on the beaver tail, for example. Upper fuselage is also under progress with these.

F14B_103.jpg

F14B_112.jpg

F14B_116.jpg

F14B_111.jpg

I have also reworked the tail fins: upper reinforcement plates come from a Crossdelta set. Lower bulges needed reshapeing as the overlap between on and the other is missing on Trumpeter's part.

F14B_109.jpg

Some work in progress on flap/wing area. Missing slot, actuator, spoiler rescribing.

F14B_110.jpg

Kit parts have been replaced to replicate the plate that flip into the wing to let airflow come around flaps. Kit part are not designed to flip and allow a proper flap positionning. Flap actuators seem a bit too long I think.

At the moment I'm working on horizontal stabs: sealant lines, and maybe bulge reshaping ( I'm gathering pics of these )

best regards !

Edited by Fancherello