Revell/Tamiya P-51 build

Guest Peterpools

John

Right with you, as my last Tamiya Mustang, I spent a billion hours puttying and sanding the wings. Even after two complete putty and sanding adventures, some of the rivets showed through the primer. Hoping your trailblazing a new path for us Mustang addicts.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

John

Right with you, as my last Tamiya Mustang, I spent a billion hours puttying and sanding the wings. Even after two complete putty and sanding adventures, some of the rivets showed through the primer. Hoping your trailblazing a new path for us Mustang addicts.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Yep. I had the same experience when I tried it and it had a pretty high cuss-factor. :)

Amazing, while the rest of us think about it you get stuck in and do it, keep up the good work.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis. :)

Okay guys, as I proceed with this I find that it is not necessary to completely remove the cockpit floor/wheel well roof area from the Revell wings. I had cut the whole floor/roof part out but now I see you will just need to remove the area in this photo that is cross hatched. I'll have to cut the needed portion of that piece off and re-attach it to the wing section. Not a big deal. Stay tuned.

54p7iBh.jpg

QzH9L8x.jpg

Edited by Guest

Qho4rhR.jpg

1QYhg7n.jpg

I'll have to either fill the cuts I made with putty or just lay some very thin plastic strips over the gaps. Not a big deal.

Great progress John!

Glad to see you forging ahead on this and showing us what changes/tweaks are needed.

Carl

Thanks Carl. I'm pretty sure there will be more "adjustments" to the model. However, I don't think any of them will be a big problem for anyone with some modeling skills.

Guest Peterpools

John

Nice work and I had all the faith in you being able to make the wing  swap work.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

John

Nice work and I had all the faith in you being able to make the wing  swap work.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter. I'm getting close to the point where anymore necessary cuts are needed. We will see! :)

Hi John - watching with interest as I will have to do this at some point on my 1/18 P51C

The aircraft I am modelling is has just been restored and Aircorps Aviation posted some interesting pics I hope you don't mind me adding..

Lopes-Hope_4_zpshf6gwv65.jpg

Lopes-Hope_5_zpsvb9zvt5j.jpg

Lopes-Hope_6_zpsnv0bm9vy.jpg

I guess they left the factory super smooth but maybe over time the filler degraded where panels but up against each other and maybe flexed in flight and that fuelled the debate about whether lines are visible or not. I don't know, and when I do mine I will likely fill like in the images, I just wish I had a pair of wings to graft on :)

Interesting experiment & looks like it's a winner

TTFN
Peter

Interesting as long as this doesn't cause things to diverge from the original WIP thread. :coolio:

Edited by Guest

Looking good John. Interesting to see how close the fit is between these two different kits.

When you have finished this one, you will have to do another one that shows the Tamiya wings on the Revell fuselage  :whistle: