1/24 Airfix RCAF Mustang IV…finally done

R Palimaka

• 6 months later...

Oh dear...last post was in April! The model was put aside for the summer and fall because of a trip to Poland with my father and son, two more theatre productions and the sailing season.

All that is behind me, my last show finishes this Saturday, the weather has closed in and it's time to sit and get serious about finishing this. I've had a few short but relaxing sessions over the last week or so to get my hand back in, and made some more progress. I'll post some photos over the next couple of days. I'd like to finish it for the HeritageCon Show  in Hamilton, Ontario at the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum in March...which would be kind of appropriate considering it will be in 424 Squadron RCAF markings.

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

Welcome back Richard!  You"ve done a beautiful job on the Mustang.  My modelling days are over as I seemed to have P...d-off Mother Nature and now all I can do is watch the progress of others.  I.ve got another of the original Airfix kits if you need.

Barney

Thanks Barney! I am so sorry about the issues you're having, it must be frustrating. My eyes are causing problems too, close up work is a real strain and it's harder to do longer sessions at the bench.

I may take you up on that Mustang...unless Airfix surprises us all with a new tool 1/24 Mustang on Saturday with their big announcement.

My guess is it might be a new bomber version of the Mosquito though...

Anyway, more photos tonight of my progress on the Mustang. It's getting there.

Richard  

Here are a few photos from the latest sessions.

The big ventral intake needed work. As it comes in the kit, the intake has the oil radiator right at the mouth. In reality, it sits farther back and lower, and the roof of the oil cooler forms the floor of the tunnel taking cooling air to the coolant radiator. It's not as complicated as it sounds...

I took a photo-etch screen from a 1/32 Mustang (which turned out to be perfect size here) and attached it to the front of a new inverted L-shaped structure. I also fashioned the strut in the front of the intake from some plastic extruded strut. The original kit parts can be seen on the left. 

pjz7tf7l.jpg

These are the wheel wells pretty much done, with the wings closed up. I'm pretty happy with the way they turned out, and there are still a few things to install, like the landing light and hinges for the clamshell doors. The first photo is a reminder of how this all started.

sr8SpFnl.jpg

t2IDsfvl.jpg

xmYL0oal.jpg

CAcLOqPl.jpg