SA-23E Mitchell-Hyundyne Starfury

spacewolf

I set her up with the Moebius Viper MK II just to get some idea of the size... the engines and ion control vanes will double the outer wing span....

DSCF1171_zps216bdd4e.jpg

And with the Revel kit...1/72 and my 1/32 ship....

DSCF1170_zpse95ae67a.jpg

Now it's on to making masters for the engines and all that detail stuff...

That's it for this time. Happy Dead Turkey Day to all my Canadian LSPer's !

Vaughn

O...M...G..!!!!  I'm in shock !... Ron Thornton messaged me !!!   

"

Your Starfury looks awesome... But I hope you are not using the kit for your measurements... 
The images sent to Revell were rendered in video space which does not have square pixels... It;s complex but the kit ended up being distorted in the front to back axis by 10%

The ship needs to be stretched front to back by about 10%

If the original mesh is useful to you I can send it.

Best
Ron   "

I am gobsmacked !!.... never in my wildest dreams did I expect to get this from the guy who designed the ship !!..... :yahoo:

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome work Vaughn. And a message from Ron Thornton! How cool is that? I assume he doesn't read LSP though...

Kev

I have no idea Kev.. was in too much shock to ask ! But ya..way cool..and he likes it, so I must be doing it right.

:yahoo:

Vaughn

Edited by spacewolf

THAT is the COOLEST thing ever... :yahoo:

How AMAZING!!!

What an Honor Vaughn to have the MAN himself contact you..

( I thought this was a special build..)

KUDOS. :bow:

Thanks man.. I'm still pinching myself !

Vaughn

So.. as the shock wore off I was faced with a much more unpleasant task..the engines. They are models in themselves and double the outer wingspan of the model ! I pondered several ways of doing them but I wanted them light so as not to add too much weight to the wings. I also wanted them hollow so as to facilitate lighting for the aft thrusters. Built up structure would add weight and everything on these parts are curves so it became clear that vacu forming was the way to go..which meant making masters.

The main body of the engine was rather simple and built up quickly with basswood and super glue.

DSCF1258_zps2b00e623.jpg

The thruster mounts that go on it were a completely different story. The mounts on top and bottom are 'sided'.. so they are mirror image parts. Using the drawings and 'guesstimating' the shapes I cut parts from 1/4 in basswood and glued them together...

DSCF1248_zps7352c97f.jpg

Careful sanding and a LOT of shaping later it came out ok. I set the master I made for the thruster on top..it looks ok.

DSCF1252_zps346ceedf.jpg

Edited by spacewolf

Then the 'fun' task of doing it in reverse...and making the outer thruster mount which fits all the engines.... After lots of sanding, cursing and at times just walking away for a day or two I think I'm done and they'll work.

DSCF1254_zpscef427f7.jpg

Next up is vacu forming and seeing how the parts turn out. Stay tuned, I'll be back.

Vaughn

• 3 years later...

Hi all.... "Their baaaack ! "..... Who'd a thunk it ?... 4 years ago Nov. I packed up the Starfury and moved out west for a new job... screwed over by a friend I had no choice but to put my stuff in storage (unheated) and move again... never thought it would take this long to get my stuff back. The good news (and there is no real bad news) is the model is in great shape... some yellowing but no cracked or split seams, no warping !! Even the engine and thruster mounts I made are straight and problem free !

The plans were a bit rough but ok...

UydmzxN.jpg

The model and engine master were fine !

MHWTSfA.jpg

A lot of yellowing, but the plastic is in great shape..

8VYb83Q.jpg

I had forgotten I'd made a vacu former.... Opening up the box was like Christmas ! It was in good shape and will soon be put to use !

aNy1xgB.jpg

And my friend Bill Eggleton in Ontario got these cast from my master I made years ago... the small thrusters just need a bit of filling and cleanup !

GTxdHwY.jpg

So the build is back on !... May take a couple of weeks to have something to post due to still getting set up in my apartment, work, ect... but I promise it won't be 4 years !!

Cheers

Vaughn