1/32 Fiat RS.14

AlexM

Hi Jim and Kevin, thanks a lot!

After gluing some stringers with evergreen profiles, I gave it a coat of interior color. I don't know for sure what color was actually used. According to this great reference site, it could have been interiour green, or some kind of grey (Grigio Azzurro Chiaro 1).

http://www.stormomagazine.com/RegiaAeronauticaColorsinWWII_3a.htm

There is a color photo of the real thing on the last page of the Ali d'Italia book, but due to the pale colors, it could be both grey or green. I finally chose Grigio Azzurro Chiaro 1 and used the corresponding paint from Lifecolor. The grey turned out slightly greenish, and I think it matches well with the color photo. The fuel tank between the main frames is still dark, but I can't see this color-contrast on the black and white photos, so it will propably become grey as well.

After painting, the perforated coverings were glued in place, and the openings for the waist-guns were cut/sanded open. The edges do still need some cleanup.

GY6VFuB.jpg

Here is the whole thing, showing the slightly modified ends of the engine nacelles.

BlCbwyX.jpg

dbqzNKs.jpg

That's it for now.

Cheers

Alex

Guest Clunkmeister

What is it about Italian airplanes that make them so darn sexy? Good LORD that's a good looking aircraft!

What is it about Italian airplanes that make them so darn sexy? Good LORD that's a good looking aircraft!

No Idea! But they didn't design many ugly aircraft. I have a big soft spot for the MC 200....one of my favourite WW2 aircraft. Don't know why, but it just looks right. CR-42 is right up there too, but this RS-14 is a real looker!  :wub:

Thanks, guys.

Indeed, the contours of the RS.14 are just perfect. Those designers really knew what they were doing.

Nice work Alex,

Currently work in the 3D realm also.

Once familiar with the technique, lots of possibilities open up. What doesn't prevent me from buing more regular kits  :frantic:  (just wonder myself when I should build them...)

Since the process of creating the perforated coverings went well, I repeated it for the inner covering of the forward hatch.

1Xzg7pn.jpg

There were windows on both sides, but apparently only one openable hatch on the right side. I wonder if I could just use the same (mirrored) inner covering for the left side, without the opening handles. I couldn't find a photo of that area :hmmm:

GWXjuVH.jpg

Cheers

Alex

I started to make the seats. They are slightly modified copies of the seat of the PCM Reggiane Re 2005, which looks very similar.

zaw6UHR.jpg

The instrument panel is made of a black styrene plate with drilled holes, a clear styrene plate, dials printed on paper (2d printed :) ), and behind a 3d-printed part..

IFynyoz.jpg

0CVnv1C.jpg