Revell (née Matchbox) Spitfire 22- finished

BloorwestSiR

Next up was the remaining A from the fuselage codes. I had to do them in this order so that I could space them correctly.

IMG_20170417_213351.jpg

IMG_20170417_220857.jpg

Then I assembled and painted the prop.

IMG_20170417_210501.jpg

IMG_20170417_213347.jpg

The blades have ended up being a press fit into the spinner.

So, in place on the model temporarily.

IMG_20170418_090054.jpg

Now all that's left is to sort the landing gear and canopy out.

Great work, your paint-job is the first class. It seems, to me that I don't chave any chance to catch up with my F Mk. 22 Spit - and as far as quality is concerned, you have raised the bar very high, I don't think it is possible to get much more out of this kit.

​Best regards

​Hubert

Great work, your paint-job is the first class. It seems, to me that I don't chave any chance to catch up with my F Mk. 22 Spit - and as far as quality is concerned, you have raised the bar very high, I don't think it is possible to get much more out of this kit.

​Best regards

​Hubert

Thanks Hubert! I actually think that it's your build that has set the bar. I look at the finer details on yours and they're just that more refined. This is the first kit I've re-scribed and riveted so hopefully I'll get better from here.

I've started on the gear legs. I'm using the Tamiya legs as a starting point and stretching them by cutting apart two sets and then splicing them together. I'm then using 0.8mm rod to reinforce then and provide a mounting point to the wing.

Here's the Matchbox leg on top, with the lengthened Tamiya leg in the middle and the stock Tamiya leg on the bottom.

IMG_20170421_100605_edit_1492785021101.j

I've also started extending the covers as well.

IMG_20170421_100502.jpg

Just need to do the other side now and done clean up.

Guest Peterpools

Carl

Holy Smokes ... amazing ... it's nearly impossible to to believe this is the old Revell/matchbox kit.

Absolutely brilliant work and what magic :yahoo:

Keep 'em coming

Peter

This is seriously good work on what is known as a "challenging" kit, the paintwork is astonishingly good, likes it

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis! It's definitely not in the shake and bake category that's for sure.

Awesome stuff, Carl. Between your build and Hubert's, I'm almost inspired to tackle this kit again myself! It would certainly be an opportunity to address everything I missed or screwed up the first time around...

Kev

LOL! Are you sure you want another crack at this one? :doh:

You're not the only one as I'm actually tempted enough that I picked up a second FR 47 conversion set.

But I think my next try at something like this will be a 21 conversion with the contraprop. 

Wow,  very nice work!

Thanks Ron! So, any chance we'll see an update on your Mossie soon? Hopefully the Aviaeology rockets rails will be out by then.  

Carl

Holy Smokes ... amazing ... it's nearly impossible to to believe this is the old Revell/matchbox kit.

Absolutely brilliant work and what magic :yahoo:

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter! I'm getting close to the finish line, both for the Spitfire and for the GB. I think I'll make it just under the wire.

Well, I managed to get the gear legs painted and installed. 

I had to modify the top of the gear leg slightly to do so. You can see the two changes I made compared to the SAC leg below. 

IMG_20170422_152553.jpg

The pivot was trimmed down slightly so that it would fit into the gear bay. The end of the small arm that protrudes from the top was also shortened. This allows the leg to hold the required angle side to side. 

I then filled the stock mounting hole with CA and inserted the legs one at a time.  The bit of rod that protrudes from the top of the leg goes into the mounting hole. 5 min epoxy might have be a better adhesive on hindsight but it worked. Once the first one was set, I installed the second the same way. It does take a bit of maneuvering to get them in but it worked. 

IMG_20170423_132217.jpg

The 22/24 Spitfires had scissor links on the back side of the gear legs instead of the front. So I simply mounted them in the correct spot. 

IMG_20170423_155809.jpg

I then painted and installed the main gear bay covers.  I had to trim the top part slightly so that it would fit into the gear bay.

IMG_20170423_163135.jpg

IMG_20170423_163411.jpg

Hopefully tonight I'll be able to see how it turned out and if she'll stand on her own legs.

Carl

In between loads of laundry, I got some work completed on the Spitfire.

I attached the main gear wheels.

IMG_20170423_224334.jpg

For the tail wheel, I had earlier snapped off the kit one so I subbed in one from a Tamiya VIII kit.

IMG_20170423_224324.jpg

And... on her legs for the first time:

IMG_20170423_224235.jpg

IMG_20170423_224249.jpg

She's getting there.

Carl