Italeri RAAF Mirage IIIO. FINISHED

ericg

Hi Rog,

... At this stage I will be doing a new panel/coaming, and RPK-10's for the model in resin, accurate for Aussie Mirages, and in very limited quantities ...

Eric ... send me a note (with a price tag) when you're ready for production!! ... Being an Aussie - I may just have grab one of these! :D

Rog :)

Thanks guys. 

Eric ... send me a note (with a price tag) when you're ready for production!! ... Being an Aussie - I may just have grab one of these! :D

Rog :)

Wilco.

The more I progressed with the instrument panel, the more I was becoming unhappy with it. The Radar screen and panel is offset slightly from the center on the real thing, just enough to annoy the crap out of me. I scrubbed off all of the detail (and I had progressed much further from the last pics as well.....) and started again. I installed the gunsight to give me a better reference point, and made the lower console thinner to assist with getting everything back into proportion. If there is one thing that I want to get right on this model it will be the panel.

I then made a blank panel from Tamiya PLA card. I have marked where the radar panel will sit, and as can be seen, it will be offset.

IMG_2869_zps9irndrcf.jpg

I expect that I will have to do this part a number of times before I get it right, so I traced the blank onto some more plastic card to make it easier to make a new one when I #$%^it up.

IMG_2866_zps1j9iqmtd.jpg

To relieve me from the tediousness of Instrument panels I went and had a play on my drill press. This Proxxon drill press is probably the most useful tool in my inventory.

IMG_2846_zpssfsbyksn.jpg

I modified a pylon from the kit parts, making it just over 5mm longer, and to the correct scale length as provided in KAIS's photos.

IMG_2853_zpszpph53ie.jpg

Fitment to the wing.

IMG_2854_zps7itbvbbr.jpg

Eric, superb craftsmanship and commendable attention to detail, as always.

As an old Mirage jockey, may I offer a couple of suggestions for the sake of authenticity?  Since your subject is the Mirage IIIO flown by TTail, you might want to place two or three brown paper barf bags at easily accessible locations in the cockpit.  Also, some cobwebs around the gunsight camera would be super-realistic, given that Tail never, ever got to use it.  Not ever.

As an old Mirage jockey, may I offer a couple of suggestions for the sake of authenticity?  Since your subject is the Mirage IIIO flown by TTail, you might want to place two or three brown paper barf bags at easily accessible locations in the cockpit.  Also, some cobwebs around the gunsight camera would be super-realistic, given that Tail never, ever got to use it.  Not ever.

And so it begins!!!

G'day Brick!

I am sure TTAIL will be around very soon to retort that outrageous paragraph of yours. I can remember seeing some pics of his somewhere that featured some aircraft in various states of having their butt kicked, through the perspective of his gun camera.

And I do apologise for not choosing your Mirage as the subject of my build, I was all Bricked out with the Sabre I am afraid. I am sure there would be a few other guys around that would like to model your Mirage though!

Eric.

Ah deary me Brick being A Fossil I guess cobwebs are something dear to your heart :) As to gunsight use here we go a selection from the FIGJAM book for the viewers pleasure  As you can see (though its an F5E) precision head tracking was the norm .... I guess thats why you were always so impeccably manicured Brick .... I mean you always did look good on film :)

GunsF5ERMAF_zps74zxy9nt.jpg

mirf162_zpse6e2474e.jpg

mir3ss.jpg

Yikes !

close_zps3lo12npo.jpg

And some Fishead bashing to :

HMASSWAN_zpsoofrhlmg.jpg

perth_zpsumeldbgp.jpg

Thanks TTAIL!

I am sure that the guys will enjoy more of your insights.

A small update.

I have continued with the master of the IP. Alot of work has gone into getting everything to fit and be in proportion. I had quite a few goes on the right side of the panel, whereas the left gave me very little grief. There is substantially more to go on this part. I spent alot of time trying to get the assymetric nature of the panel right. It was fun to get everything to interact, ie; RP Toolz punch sizes and Airscale instruments whilst still fitting mostly within the kit part.

My primary reference for this work has been this pic (and I have left off the Radar Altimeter on purpose), combined with other photos and the Mirage Manuals.

40460_1605531098589_6738551_n_zpsbxtt6b1

Still very much a WIP, but I am getting there.

IMG_2878_zpswauhszda.jpg

Brilliant stuff.

Beware the cockpit photo shows the old French Trapp22 radio on the left panel.. The later radio control panel was very different .

The image also shows the Night Flying Dimmer/Mask over the incidence lights to the left of the gunsight.

Edited by TTail