AIMS Me 262 A-1a/U3 conversion

Pastor John

Well I can see that I can carry on without frame M which contains all the fuel / oil tanks but if anyone reading this has built this kit with the fuselage hatch open can I ask if you can see the back of the rear fuel tank? also can you see the tank attached to the bulkhead in front of the cockpit tub when you look up through the gear bay? If you can see it clearly I will wait to see if I can get a replacement frame. Thanks

Also I asked about interior colours - hope someone can respond thanks

John

Can I repeat my question and add another

anyone know who is the UK distributer for Trumpeter?

Anyone know of a pic showing additional camera switches etc in cockpit?

Many thanks  - great kit - never seen so many sub-assemblies in all my life! Doing engines today made me feel I was doing a pod racer from Star Wars episode 1!

Hi John, as far as I know the wheel wells where natural aluminum (for certain late in the war). Sometimes the manufacturers logo would be visible. I believe MDC had such a decal sheet or maybe Airscale.

Cheers Wouter

Hi, I scaned for you something, hope, it will help you - please, check your PM inbox.

As for colours: All internal surface left in NMF except cockpit in RLM66 and front wheel bay RLM02 or RLM76 because later in war was made of stell(source of info MBI and JaPo), and stell was always treated with some colour, usually primer RLM02, RLM66 or RLM76. Main landing wheels bay - NMF with some rows of rivets and 1st wing rib treated with brush painted RLM02. You wiil see on scans what I mean. Gun/camera covers are in RLM02. Gun/camera bay can be in NMF or in RLM02 - photos of both version exist. 

If you would like build "white 3" you will need rework bulges over cameras. This particular a/c have different bulges - short version. "This rare version did not overlap onto the front section of the nose and is an unmistakable sign of non-standard solution, leading to our belief that it was converted to reconnaissance model at an experimental workshop possibly at Oranienburg airfield or at 3./Versuchverband des O.K.L" via JaPo - Messerschmitt Me 262 production & Arado Ar 234's final operations David E. Brown, Tomáš Poruba, Jan Vladař, 2012, p.11.

I dont know if you have this in your set, but a camera window was set into reinforced plate attached to the nose cladding. The plate also covered spent cartridge holes of the MK108 guns. Check shape/position on enclosed scans. 

Edited by Pufo

Thanks guys, still proceeding without frame m but would be good to know who to contact about getting replacement. Thanks for colour info - it is what I thought but best to check

One more thing......I will model bird with upper front nacelle hatch off only exposing engine - this panel has no independent latches so I assume the latches on the long oval panel below serve both hatches but how? Any one have a close up of this latch in action?

best wishes

John

My interpretation of the inclusion of that faired in gun deck panel was that it was for a future Sturmbocke variant rather than a Mistel - didn't some have the cowl armament removed to compensate for the weight of the additional armour? So I wouldn't panic about a Mistel kit just yet.

One more thing......I will model bird with upper front nacelle hatch off only exposing engine - this panel has no independent latches so I assume the latches on the long oval panel below serve both hatches but how? Any one have a close up of this latch in action?

best wishes

John

I hope, photos will make it clear.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132980621@N07/albums/72157659084906914  

Hi Guys, this 262 is something of a headache - what to spray or build when? Which so much pluming and wiring seen up through the gear bay my eyes are going funny looking at the photos. A dear friend has lent me the JaPo volumes, HT Models Speciel vol and the Eagle Cal volume - wow I really have a lot of work to do! Eduard tell you to but those side wall plates in the wrong place - thankfully I spotted it and removed the molded stiffeners in order to place them flat correctly - also noticed I had to remove the front oleo leg torque link but need to scratch build the attachment bracket at the bottom - lots to do ho hum

20151127_130424_zpsbaoialxs.jpg

John,

I have the A-1a and the A-2a kits and neither have a sprue M. All the "tanks" in the kit are on sprue E. I can see no tank mounted on the front of the cockpit and no fuel tank in the rear on my kits?

In sprue shots I've seen online, the only kit that has sprue M is the A-1a Heavy Armament.

Edited by Nigels modelling bench

Well madness has descended on the Mcillmurray household - i do not know if what I want to achieve will even work? I decided to thread through the pilots tub and anchor a load of 10 pd fishing wire and some different thicknesses of wire which were then encouraged into holes drilled into the ends of the side consoles (I should have drilled before assembly of tub but it was an after thought) I then added little junction boxes directly above each bank of wires in the hope that it looks like the wires protrude from the boxes more or less. I hate plumbing! What have I done - why not just use the Eduard PE in an area I will hardly ever look at for the rest of its life?

20151203_093410_zpsjc6yx2qb.jpg20151203_093506_zpsvechgqel.jpg

I want to paint the interior of the two parts of the tub separately - no detail - just the paint and then join them, and once set grind off the kits locating tabs and fill - then I can spray the outside and get the kit together and start finding homes for the ends of all the wires and cables