F16C role in the Wild Weasel Package with the F4G

rohan

The thud is a cool looking bird. But also has the unfortunate reputation of being the only US aircraft to be pulled out of combat duties to too higher losses. But the WW thud is on my list of 1/32 kits to do at some stage

Ok guys, If I bought the 1/32 Revell F4F (german version) which is actually quite a good kit. Is there

1. A conversion kit for for this kit on the market to make an F4G?

2. Assuming I could get the F4G nose, tail tip with pod, what other things need converting on an F4F?

This is what I like about modelling, you know little about a certain aircraft or variant before modelling it, then once you start a project on one, you learn everything about it. Learning the knowledge and history of an aircraft is as much fun as making it. Now Im right into this F4G WW after starting this thread on the F16C!!!!!!!

3. Might be obvious (but I cant find out why so I hope I dont appear stupid) but why was the Phantom chosen as a WW aircraft and specifically why was a F4 variant made for it? I mean its old and there are probably so many modern birds that could have done the role of hunter/killer like an F15E etc. Can anyone tell me why the F4 was chosen for the WW role?

Cheers,

Rohan

Edited by rohan

The thud is a cool looking bird. But also has the unfortunate reputation of being the only US aircraft to be pulled out of combat duties to too higher losses. But the WW thud is on my list of 1/32 kits to do at some stage

Well two basic factors tell that story. 1) nearly half of the production run of F-105s was shot down between 1964 and 1970 over South East Asia, after F-105 production had shut down, and 2) it was statistically impossible for a F-105 pilot to complete his required 100 missions over North Vietnam in order to rotate home during Operation Rolling Thunder, 1965-1968. But it is still my favorite fast mover of all time.

Ok guys, If I bought the 1/32 Revell F4F (german version) which is actually quite a good kit. Is there

1. A conversion kit for for this kit on the market to make an F4G?

2. Assuming I could get the F4G nose, tail tip with pod, what other things need converting on an F4F?

This is what I like about modelling, you know little about a certain aircraft or variant before modelling it, then once you start a project on one, you learn everything about it. Learning the knowledge and history of an aircraft is as much fun as making it. Now Im right into this F4G WW after starting this thread on the F16C!!!!!!!

3. Might be obvious (but I cant find out why so I hope I dont appear stupid) but why was the Phantom chosen as a WW aircraft and specifically why was a F4 variant made for it? I mean its old and there are probably so many modern birds that could have done the role of hunter/killer like an F15E etc. Can anyone tell me why the F4 was chosen for the WW role?

Cheers,

Rohan

1) CAM, IIRC, made most if not all of the resin conversion parts needed to convert a F-4E/F into a F-4G.

2) Off the top of my head: There are multiple small "blade" antennas located on the air frame that are part of the locator systems; there were rear view mirror mounted in fairings externally on the canopies; Chaff/Flare dispensers were mounted in pairs on the trailing edge of the inboard wing pylons; the standard external belly tank of the F-4 was replaced by the same type as used on F-15s; I am sure there is more, but I would have to look in my library regarding Weasels and Phantoms.

3)the F-4 was chosen due to when a replacement for the F-105 Weasel was needed, (mid 1970s) it was the most available aircraft, still in production, and would not put any new strain on a logistics system (Jimmy Carter era) that was very taut already with budget funding shortfalls. The earlier EF-4C used in 1972 over Vietnam was not quite as capable as the F-105G, but the F-4G upgrade promised a more capable Weasel. The F-15E was still years away and twin seat Eagles were needed for the F-15 training and conversion programs. I personally don't understand how the F-16C was chosen as the successor in the role, aside from a high level of automation in the locator systems. All that I have read about Weasels emphasized the need and advantages for a two man crew.

I am not up on the variances of F-16 blocks at all. Aside from some very basic ones- F-16A Block 10/later. F-16C, F-16 ADF. I know they exist, but could not tell you what is what without looking it up in a book or online. If the CG and CJ are both "big mouth" intakes and with the "other" engine, IIRC in my vague knowledge, all the other differences should be internal.

Thanks for those detailed replies. I appreciate it.

Now you have me wild weasel crazy!!!! I just love the concept of what they do. I also have a 1/32 revell GR1 Tornado. So now Im for sure going to put a TIALD Pod on it and ALARMS and do it as a SEAD Tornado from desert Storm. Its also nice to do a kit that doesnt have GBUs on it for a change.

I agree that you would think a two seater would fit the role better due to the task load of the SEAD job.

Yes the 105 is a cool looking machine. I have the Trumpeter 1/32 105G marked on the list for a Wild Weasel build.

Wasnt the USAF C & C in desert storm a new pilot who started his flying career as a thud wild weasel pilot in the Vietnam war? (I cant think of his name)

Yes the F16CG block 40 and CJ block 50 both have the big mouth intake and GE engine. I think the CG has the GE 100 and the CJ the GE128. So I think no external differences. In that case. I could do my CG as a CJ in the WW role

Edited by rohan

Yes the F16CG block 40 and CJ block 50 both have the big mouth intake and GE engine. I think the CG has the GE 100 and the CJ the GE128. So I think no external differences. In that case. I could do my CG as a CJ in the WW role

It depends on how accurate you'd like to be. Yes, there are exterior differences, and differences in the cockpit, as well. I'd suggest grabbing a reference book and sitting down with it to familiarize yourself with either the F-16 or F-4G. Multiple books are available for either airframe.

Jake

I'd suggest grabbing a reference book and sitting down with it to familiarize yourself with either the F-16 or F-4G. Multiple books are available for either airframe.

Jake

My $.02...

Pick up a copy of "The Modern Viper Guide" by Jake, it is hands down the finest F-16 reference book money can buy IMHO. And no, I don't get a cut for recommending it! ;)

Edited by Daywalker

Does anyone know if CAM bought out 2 1/32 F4G wild weasel conversion kits? One for the Tamiya F4E and one for the Revell F4 E/F?

Secondly, did the CAM set include ejection seats, rear cockpit panel, HARMs, and the other stuff?

rohan you are mentioning the CAM set which is for the Revell F-4E Mig Killer kit. It includes a misshaped radome (mine was also un-cured resin in the bag), WSO upper panel only (incorrect and simple in detail) with a direct copy of the Tamiya F-4E kit rear panel detail (backside), tail pod which sits too high and rear cap incorrect, and misshaped chin pod. In addition you would need the lower WSO panel, cockpit boxes, and external antennas. Since you have the Revell F-4F you would also need a set of slotted stabilators from the F-4E kit and Martin-Baker Mk.7 seats. Besides my impression of the CAM set being inadequate, I chose to make a completely new set for the Revell kit because it already has slatted wings, chaff/Flare, high speed centerline tank, etc. That and I used to buy them for $18.00 a piece. Sure there could be something I missed but HTH.