F16C role in the Wild Weasel Package with the F4G

rohan

IIRC, they were HARM shooters in paired Hunter/Killer teams of F-4Gs/F-16Cs. The F-4G would locate and localize the RADAR or SAM site, and the F-16s carried another pair of HARMs or CBUs or other ordinance in addition to that carried by the Phantom. This essentially allows the doubling of the size of the Wild Weasel force.

OK, scroll down almost to the bottom for the loadouts. AGM-88 (HARMs) and AGM-45s (Shrikes) were used.

http://dstorm.eu/pag...adout/f-16.html

According to this site they were Block 30 F-16Cs.

Per the Squadron Book Wild Weasel- the SAM Suppression Story, there were 12 F-16Cs from the 23rd TFS originally based out of Spangdahlem paired up with 12 F-4Gs that flew out of Incirlik AB in Turkey during Desert Storm/Proven Force flight operations. After about a week of SEAD sorties, the F-16s were used as standard F-16s due to the Iraqi Air Defense network having been degraded enough.

Scroll down to the 23rd TFS section for photos of their F-16s. There is only one combat in flight photo and no pods are discernible

http://dstorm.eu/pages/en/usa/f-16.html

Edited by stikpusher

I'm sure the documentary was correct as information is readily available about ODS. I had never heard of F-16's being used in the SCUD hunting role until today. Any day you don't learn something new is a wasted day. I checked the kills of Scud launchers both fixed and mobile and there is one reported destruction of 6 stockpiled missles by an F-16 (but no launcher). A-10's took several but again, the vast majority of the scud kills belong to the Strike Eagles.

As others have said they were Blk30A jet small intake/GE exhaust. ECM pod was ALQ-131,weapons used during the war included Harm,Shrike,CBU's and LDGP bombs.

Scud hunting was done by 69thTFS/347th TFW Blk40's. These Moody F-16's used only the targetting pod for the LANTIRN set up. Most missions were flown at medium level so there was no need for the Nav pod. They used mainly 500lb LGB's and CBU's

I mastered F-4G conversion for the Revell F-4E as well as Full intake correction as well as CORRECT diameter long exhaust. I am an ex weasel mech. The Airdoc sheet has Spang. mkgs. useable for DS. You would need the slotted stab from the F-4E kit and suggest the True Details resin seats if you have the F-4F. There are photos of the parts posted here;

http://www.zone-five...?t=20249&page=2

Edited by phasephantomphixer