Nakajima Ki84 Type 4 Fighter, Hayate (Frank)

Hartmann352

I don't want to be a "stick in the mud" but did you notice the small writing on those bottles of paint.

HKtCDuh.jpg

The two colors you bought are for A6M's.  The Nakajima IJNAF color would be specific to the A6M while the Mitsubishi color would also be used on the J2M series fighters.  I'm sure you're aware that the Ki-84 is an IJAAF aircraft.  Existing research indicates that the interior color of the Ki-84 could have been one of three likely possibliities based on when it was manufactured.  I don't have access to my Mikesh book on Japanese Interiors but I believe he  is indecisive on the coloration.  According to what I've read at j-aircraft.com, the preproduction sample cockpits were most likely Aotake while the mid production aircraft had a dark green similar to the exterior green color and the last batches of Ki-84 were sent into combat with unpainted cockpits (natural metal).  I've posted my source information taken from j-aircraft.com in case you're interested.  If not, continue as is without any further input from me but never trust Hasegawa paint callouts with 100% certainty unless you know they're right (i.e. black).  :punk:

http://www.j-aircraft.com/faq/ki84.htm#Ki-84%20interior%20color

• 3 years later...

Okay, well, time to resurrect this bird.(I've added to the stash recently, sooo, I...um, need to actually build something. )

Few questions though. 

Regarding the above, where Jug pointed out that I have IJN colors for an IJA bird. I've been hunting, and am unable to find "cockpit color Nakajima IJA". Is there one out there to be had? Is there a big difference between the Nakajima IJN and IJA colors?

Regarding another color...."Cowling color", for the anti-glare panel in front of the canopy. I've read that it is a REALLY dark blue, almost black. Is it worth it to get a bottle of this color, or will a flat black suffice w/o catching to much flak?

Regarding photos. Is there some way to get pics from iPhone directly onto a post? Haven't logged into my Photo-Bucket account in years! If I am unable to transfer directly from phone to here, is there a new/better alternative to Photo-Bucket? Really dislike the 'watermark' that I see here, and prefer something that doesn't cost?

Thank you ladies, gents, and the rest of you.

:beer:

Cheers, 

Dave

Edited by Hartmann352

Nice to see this resurface, the kit is one of the nicest ones that I have build recently, I thoroughly enjoyed it, as to your colour questions, the cowling and  areas under the canopy are indeed blue black, this is the colour guide that I used on mine. I used information from Nick Millman's blog for this.

The subject that I have chosen for my build will be aircraft 45 of the 47th Flight Regiment, 3rd Squadron Narimasu Airfield in Feb 1945.

The kit instructions call for an Olive Drab FS34087 for the upper surface but Nick recommends FS3070 as it is the closest to the actual Hayate factory colour.

For the undersides FS16350 is the nearest to the factory colour so I searched for a model paint nearest to this.

After discussions with Nick I devised the following plan using Nick's advise and what paint that I had or could get so any mistakes are down to me and not Nick:

Upper surface colour

Sovereign Colourcoats ARJ0,1 this is the nearest to FS33070 that I could find though there is a new Colourcoats paint that is a dedicated aircraft colour ACJ22 - IJAAF #7 Ohryoku nana go shoku, which I picked up at Telford.

Under surface colour

I compared Humbrol 168 Hemp, Sovereign Colourcoats ACJ016 and Xtracolor X16 Hemp, they all look very similar but I like working with Xtracolor so will go with X16

Cockpit

Humbrol 78 Matt Cockpit Green mixed with Humbrol 28 Camouflage Grey, a 2:1 mix of 78 and 28 roughly matches FS34226 (not 266) which Nick recommends, though it could have been painted with the exterior colour, in the end using a new tinlet I made a 78 and 28 mix.

Area Under the windscreen and canopy

Revell 9 Anthracite

Anti Glare Panel

The kit instructions do not show an anti glare panel but on Nick's advice I will go with one using  Revell 9 Anthracite

Wheel wells

Humbrol 78

Prop and Spinner

FS 34082 is quoted for these but Humbrol 78 is recommended by Nick

ID Bands

X106 Insignia Yellow or ACJ19

Hinomaru

Humbrol 19 or Sovereign Colourcoats ACJ20, will probably use the latter.

Inside Engine Cowling

Upper surface colour , Sovereign Colourcoats ARJ01or ACJ22

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis