My 109 Addiction: Bf109G6 in 1/48: Build-off! Complete

Gazzas

Hi everyone,

Been putting on the decals on the Tamiya kit.  The only plastic parts not yet on the kit are the MG-131 barrels.  Here are some photos:

ZXRkJ3.jpg

My first semi-successful spinner decal.  These decals are thinner than older Tamiya decals.  They tend to sink in nicely but are thick enough where you get some second chances when you mess up.

YcrHZa.jpg

You'll notice the white primer showing on the edges.  This is where paint has come off through handling.  Of course...  touch up will be required.

YrKiOZ.jpg

There are a lot more stencils I could/should add.  But they are tiny little things that I don't think will add much to the build.

6cfJZv.jpg

After touch up painting, I'll seal the decals, and work on the weathering.  Looking forward to try to make the difference between RLM74 and RLM75 more pronounced.

My best mate:

jjubcH.jpg

She has a tendency to try to bathe me when I'm on hands and knees looking for a lost part.

Cheers,

Gaz

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Peter.  I've a fair bit of paint modulation and fading...and oil streaking and...  but it's all on hold.  I have a group build on another forum to complete and the days are winding down.

Gaz

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

It's been a while since I got anything done on this comparison, but I'm back at it after the arrival of the Eduard wings.

After attaching the wings, I added the already painted LG Legs.  After letting them set over night I checked them the next morning.  The starboard wingtip was higher than the port.  A visual check showed that one had moved a fraction.

Then I moved to the forward edge slats and the flaps and radiators.

LzxeBr.jpg

TZf8yA.jpg

I'm not certain what the actual dihedral of the 109 wing should be.

NFxxjM.jpg

To change the position of any of the Eduard control surfaces, simply cut off the tabs and glue.

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

Gaz

Nice work. I used Gunze acrylics on my Eduard 109G-14. I did' however lighten them up quite a bit to give some scale effect. I had noted quite low contrast between the tone of the RLM 76 and the RLM 75, so tried to replicate that..

24425038218_074499ae9e_c.jpg

I freehanded this camo and it was a bit daunting. I have just a couple of evenings ago used blue tack (version of) to do some hard edged camo on a 1/32 Hunter F-5. It was abit of a revelation. Much easier to lay out and adjust and with a small tip and lowish pressure I didn't need any masking between the sausages of tack. I think it'll be my masking friend of choice (I'm a bit late to this party - but I had reservations about residue). One thing is that I took the masking off immediately I had finished spraying, so it was only in place for 45mins - 1 hour.

I'd recommend it as a way to get the 'soft hard edge' of Luft camo, especially in the smaller scales.

For mottling I think a good 0.2 needle and lots of practice cannot be beaten. Yours looks good, but getting the hang of the airbrush is THE way to go and once you have a go at it (use your paint mule) you'll find it isn't actually that hard.

The other thing is that I used black Stynylrez as my primer - so a sort of 'black basing' which I think works really well for Luft aircraft and if top coat does wear down a bit isn't as obvious as white..

Matt

Edited by mattlow

Thanks Gaz

Last night at our club meeting I was overwhelmingly advised that 'white tack' leaves no grease marks... I suppose that is useful if you're likely to leave the stuff in place for any length of time. I shall try to track some down.

Matt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

I've finally finished the build and the comparison.  Both kits have a lot to offer and are worthy of anybody's time or effort.  It just depends on what you want, really.  The Eduard kit is the winner when it comes to surface detail.  The Tamiya kit the winner if you want it to have all of the correct angles without the use of a protractor.   I didn't use a protractor, so the Eduard sits taller than the Tamiya.  The Tamiya decals are nice.  Nicer than Tamiya decals were a few years ago.

Most of the Eduard decals are nice.  A few of the smaller stencils have a white border around them.  You'll see them on the top cowling and the tail lifting points of the Eduard which carries Barkhorn's markings.  The Tamiya kit was more expensive.  But once you get the detail sets for the Eduard, the prices come closer.  I enjoyed assembling the Tamiya kit more than the Eduard.  It seemed more fun and less labor intensive.  That's my two cents on the comparison.

Here are the final photos:

0wXJVF.jpg

Sms0rj.jpg

TwAtaG.jpg

LzTGcB.jpg

qdOu5y.jpg

qmSfAb.jpg

sp6Nf3.jpg

1uEf8v.jpg

The Spinner of the Eduard kit appears a bit beefier than the Tamiya kit.  They are nose-to-nose here.

Cvl96i.jpg

y8TgiL.jpg

All parts of the G6's being equal, Eduard has a huge lead in variants in production.  Will Tamiya pump out a G-5 or G-14?  Will Tamiya make Erla variants?  Who can say.

Thanks you for looking.  I hope you've enjoyed this build log.

Gaz