1/32 Revell Bell X1

LSP_Matt

Been a bit too occupied to launch into the 109F just at the moment so resuscitated this kit from the stash.

The kit was slightly started ( an Ebay special). The pilot was glued to the seat...when I say glued...think, the whole tube. I butchered the seat getting him off, so it required some scratchbuilding to try and sort it.

For references I used Google and followed a few links. Not many pictures of this plane at all.

Cheers Matty

The kit in question...I got the orange one

post-901-1169891760.jpg

For referencing I am using this hilarious build by my mate Piet. X1 Ramjager JV44

So far I have assembled the wings and horizontal tail. I scribed the panel lines after removing the raised ones with my trusty purple mastercaster's sponge sander :P . I smoothed with the red and blue sponge sanders then polished with the white sponge and then the miracle shiner :P ...do I need paint?

QN: After scribing how do you guys soften the panel line to remove any raised edges but keep the clarity of the groove that makes the panel line?

IMAG0013.jpg

Both sides of the fuselage got the same Rx along with some rivets on an access panel. The black is Alclad primer. The main gear is assembled and I added some scratched details to swazzle up the landing bay.

IMAG0012.jpg

I used Keiths ( Allock) technique for giving the tyres a weighted look. It took a while and some patience but they truned out pretty nifty. Nice trick Keith...thanks for sharing mate :P .

Engine in primer ready for paint. Cockpit with some scratched details. Am building tape seat belts and PE buckles and will need to add the handlebars back onto the control column. The pilot ripped them out when he came off.

IMAG0017.jpg

The red on the head rest is a material called Pattern Resin ( GC corp). I use it in my dental surgery but its basically a fast cure acrylic resin ( powder/liquid) that you use by dipping brush in some liquid, then into the powder. It is a great material for filling gaps and its bonds to plastic big time :D . With a little liquid and the acrylic not quite set ( 20->30s working time) you can add texture ( creases etc) and it will keep the shape and fidelity. I use it to make Me109 cowl scoops in about 20secs...they are as good as the kit ones and glue straight on.

Righto...back to work for me :P

Cheers Matty

Hi Matt,

When I rescribed my Revell Eurofighter (many moons ago), after sanding as Thierry has suggested, I ran liquid cement along the panel lines with a fine paint brush.

If found that this rounded the edges of the new scribing enough to make them less pronounced, without damaged the surrounding plastic.

You could then use your polishing sticks, clean out the panel lines with water and on to painting.

Ted Barrett

Ah thanks for the tips Thierry and Ted ;) . I'll definitely give them a go.

Yeah the plastic polished up a treat Erwin. If I didn't have overspray everywhere now I'd leave it. I have some Tamiya orange in stock. It'll do :)

Yeah...stock pit mostly Mike. No time to fiddle around too much with work and family stuff going on. One thing that totally blew me away was how 'spot on' the instrument panel is. I'll post the pic and the panel...it looks to me as though every individual guage has been represented correctly. I was most pleasantly surprised.

Ah Gene...the other one..its was Gene Onacko :lol: that I'd seen

cheers Matty

Lookin sweet Matty.....that scribing work is top notch, my friend! Tell me, did you end up finding any useful scribing tools in your dental bag of tricks?

Great to see a build subject that's a bit out of the ordinary too :-)

Keep up the great work Matty

Cheers

Ango

• 1 month later...

Thanks Ango...yep. I'll take a piccie of what I use as a scriber tomorrow. Its a handy tool but not the ideal scriber.

Here's about a months progress ( :D ...busy doing behind the scenes stuff)

Engine Piccies.

First the genuine engine for reference

XLR-11.jpg

EC96-43611-1.jpg

Mine...Alclad and some acrylics...a few Mig powders and a wash

IMG_0055.jpg

Wheels and tyres all painted up ( Gunz Tyre black/ a wash in oils/ some Mig Powder)

I used Keith (Allocks) idea for getting a weighted effect on the tyres

I think it worked OK and was a pretty straight forward technique for a beginner

IMG_0056.jpg

Original Instrument panel for Reference

E49-00010.jpg

Mine...a dry brush ( a skill I'm yet to feel I've mastered), some weathering and dental adhesive on the dial faces to simulate glass.

Err...on close inspection I was simply gobsmacked by how totally spot on the kit part by Revell was. Bravo

IMG_0020.jpg

Side panel ( not quite finished)...some Mike Grant decals, some more dental adhesive.

IMG_0023.jpg

Landing gear and wheel bays. Tweaked using my imagination, some evergreen half round, angle, riveting wheel.

Alclad aluminium with wash in oils

IMG_0058.jpg

Plan B = Try to finish before deadline

Cheers Matty

Thanks lads...yep busy indeed. But good busy :)

Ah yes...when I think of Chucky though...I usually think of an butchers knife wielding doll.

Going to have to get creative in order to finsh on time...ideas a plenty though ;)

Cheers Matty