Not another Mustang!

Hi Kev,

It's all thanks to a great Australian product called Gator's Grip, the best PVA glue you can get your hands on.  I really like their Thin Blend, meant for Photo Etch but very good for general purpose too. Here I dabbed some on the back of the etched panel to fix the acetate, its very fast "grab" gave me a second or two of wiggle room to align the dials. Then today after I painted the rear face in MMP White I set the assembly into the plastic surround with the same stuff.

When it says "Gator's Grip", it ain't kidding!  I use it a lot to bond canopies too.

Just spent a good half hour putting the upper and lower wings together.  Some brute force needed to put the wing tops over the Aires undercarriage resin insert; even after lots of sanding and test fitting, they still fought back!  Currently sitting, suitably defeated, with Tamiya tape pulling the bits together.  Had to use Tamiya White Top cement, the one that's half way between the old style tube cement and a liquid, plus a lot of engineering Super Glue.  And a strong line in expletives, those wing bits may have not known their parentage a while ago, they certainly do now!

Ah yes, the joys of model making !

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Hi Guys,

Actually some  progress today. 

Test fit of the IP:

42148422321_b3a9f5459d_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Sanding down the wing joints.  More fun!

41249273755_805024d3fd_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

On with the Stynylrez and it looks pretty good even if I say so myself.  The edges feather nicely and the new coat has blended in.

27280265767_e8885eb58d_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

And the underside sprayed with grey primer as well.

27280265857_8d82764ff4_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Next biggie will be to finish off the interior and slap the fuselage together to hang the wings onto.  So that means seat belts. Nasty! Still, no point in doing that reasonably nice IP then not fitting belts, is there?

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Hi John,

I'm following your work with interest, some good modelling there!  I'll be honest, I'll steal any idea from anyone as long as it works. Personally I like BIWAH modelling (bash it with a hammer) and this kit certainly needs to be fought all the way.  Still, it looks vaguely like a B/C and it's the only game in town, so why not?

Now I've got to get off the computer and clean up the airbrush.  But all in all, a reasonably successful day.

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Thanks Bruce... we are birds of the same feather.  I love learning about new techniques and tools from other people's builds and I hope people find my builds useful.  Is there any particular way you use the Gator Grip stuff?  I have that thin blend and I can't get it to secure anything.  Elmer's White Glue is offers more adhesion.  I've heard good things about Gator Grip so maybe I am using it wrong or have a bad bottle.

Hi Kev,

It's all thanks to a great Australian product called Gator's Grip, the best PVA glue you can get your hands on.

Yeah, it's great stuff for sure! I rely on it heavily myself. It's not Australian, though; the guy who makes it is based in Louisiana:

http://www.gatorsmask.com/biography.html

Kev

Hi Kev,

Oh well, I was given a bum steer by someone then! But it's still a great product.

Today's plan is more interior work. Seat belts tomorrow. Then I can button it up some time over the weekend.

Yes, it won't happen like that but at least there's a plan!

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Hi Guys,

I wasn't quite happy with the way I had drawn the Stars'N'Bars for the P-51 on the computer so I went back and reworked them, actually I started again.  Hese's a shot of the DXF file dragged kicking and screaming into the Silhouette program with the addition of serial number and fin numbers.

More or less settled on a NMF C model, built in Dallas, instead of a B which is the LA version.  I'm using page 25 of Squadron/Signal No. 45 as my reference.

40359694910_297aed9c20_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

And here's the plastic awaiting more work.  All held together by the super tight fit of the wing assembly, don't think there will be much filler on this kit.  Oops, forgot about all that time filling and sanding the wing rivets!

41265810325_ab23babece_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Hi Guys,

Attempt number 3 at the Stars'N'Bars, using info off the Interwebnet.  Seems everything is ratioed around the nominal radius of the star.  So I drew a 15" circle and started from there, now I have scaleable markings.  The nominal radii of the Mustang marking seems to be 15" for the fuselage and 17.5" for the wings.  They are drawn up in AutoCad, sent to the Silhouette and I've cut the first set on OraMask 810 grey film.

Now all I've got to do is build and paint the model.  

And haven't Microsoft been busy this week?  A huge update for Windows 10, shed loads of bits and pieces popping up,  a right nightmare! Every time I turn on my computer it is chuntering away doing something.  And the Silhouette program also got an upgrade which managed to corrupt so this morning I did a manual download and upgrade.

Regards,

Bruce Crosby