Hawker Typhoon Mk.IB "Pulverizer IV" Finished!

Grant_T

Getting ready for paint. I've managed to save most of the detail but had to add a tiny bit back. I'm looking forward to seeing this under paint because the surface has some really fine detail and variation. I'll build and paint the wheel wells after the main paint job is on.

18.jpg
19.jpg
20.jpg

Finished the filling then added the canopy, filled the seam around this and primed. The canopy front is not ideal because the sprue gates impinge on the clear area. I much prefer those kits where the canopy includes some of the fuselage (like the Trumpeter Flanker I just finished). I also glued the bombs, gear doors and the prop. Next I shot a bit of flat yellow (at which stage I took these pics). I've just masked this, but had to stop when I clumsily stabbed the tip of my thumb with a fresh #11 blade. I think the very tip of the blade broke off in there. Oh well, I haven't cut myself for years so I guess it was coming. :D 

22.jpg

23.jpg

I love your work on this! Those pics really bring the subtle stressed skin effect to life, and I commend Airfix for being one of the first to offer this. I also really like that you are building her closed up!

Cheers, Tom

Thanks! I'm really pushing on with this to get it finished by the dead line. The demarcation on the top camo was achieved with blu tack. It is not quite as sharp as it appears in the pictures and roughly approximates some of the pictures I have. But there seems to be a bit of variation in those too. Next up is the bottom colour and then detail painting. At the same time I've been working on all the other parts, so this should come together pretty quickly. :)

01.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg

I put in some serious hours on this build this weekend. Some random progress pictures. 

02.jpg
03.jpg
05.jpg
01.jpg

One thing I have only just noticed is that the the gear leg part is mismolded where it attaches the wheel (at least I'm sure that it must be). It doesn't fit the wheel and will need to be carved/filed down a little. I wish I had spotted this before gluing on the gear. You can see the odd molding here:

04.jpg

This kit is a real puzzle. Incredible detail and engineering in some areas, and then weird bits like this.