Revell 1:144 767 - Delta Airlines

LSP_K2

kev

Nice way to start the New year. Sure is looking good

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks, Peter. As I said, it's become an annual tradition with me to start a new kit every year on the 31st, and it's always a kick.

Straight as straight can be. Perhaps I just lucked out, Kev. The one problem that I've consistently had with these 767 kits, is the inboard trailing edge flaps are always bent, I think they have been on every Revell 767 kit that I've worked on.

YdPo8Y.jpg

I've somewhat arbitrarily decided that these GE engines are not so bad, and that with a little effort, they can be made to look quite acceptable. To that end, I've cut the forward portion of the cowls off, so that I can more easily eliminate the nasty seam on interior. While doing this, I cut one too short (the one on the right) and ruined it, so I'll have to scavenge one from one of my other kits.

ipOR6w.jpg

Agreed. I wish I'd thought of it when I built mine!

Kev

Too bad I can't claim credit for the process, as I snatched it from the AM guys, that generally just recast the kit engines anyway.

Looking good!  The Revell kit has "General Whitney" engines - neither P&W nor GE, but a little (maybe) closer to P&W.

You also need to fill in the odd depression where the horizontal stabs mount.  Not a feature of real 767s.

The kit represents the relatively rare non-ER 767-300 (104 built).  It has the small forward cargo hatch in the belly, which needs to be re-scribed to represent the bigger hatch on the -300ER.

I didn't know about the hatch, so thanks for that. As to the odd looking stab mount area, I found these delightful shots (photo credits to Jodie Peeler) over at airlinercafe that shows some sort of flattened indentation in that area, though it does not seem to be exactly the same.

Wa9WO1.jpg

9r9hpG.jpg

The reason there's a flattened (vs. indented) area there is that the stab pivots up and down.  If it were a curve like the rest of the fuselage there would be huge gaps around the root of the stab when it moved.  The trapezoidal shaped part moves with the stab, but the rest of the stab moves against the side of the fuselage.

Yep I know the stab is articulated somewhat, and that does certainly account for the flattened area, Revell just got carried away it seems. The kit stabs make no attempt whatsoever to recreate the trapezoidal gizmos you refer to, but I can easily fake them up with some plastic sheet.

I somewhat arbitrarily decided to add .100 in length to the cowls, to more faithfully capture the "feel" of the GE's normally associated with these 767's, but had no .100 sheets, so opted for .080 & .020 sandwiched together instead. Once these are thoroughly dry, I'll trim and sand to shape, then putty as needed, probably tomorrow.

3zX9OL.jpg